Why Switzerland Has Not Been Invaded?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Dewaine, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

2. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

They generally stay out of everyone's business as well.

3. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

That's about 80% of it, I believe.

4. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

I dont think the US has a big problem either, even though our goverment would like to join a UN treaty against arms.....try getting 30 million plus to give them up..lol

Issy

5. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

Interesting video ... thanks for posting it. The old saying is "Switzerland doesn't have an army ... it is an army."

And let's not forget the national hero: William Tell.

6. w3wizard

w3wizard New Member

I'm inclined to believe that since they stay out of everybody's way nobody cares. As far as a deterrent to invasion... I don't really think the number of guns or how many are trained to use them matters too much in this case.

The geography plays a bigger role as a deterrent to invasion for them in my opinion.

7. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

Actually, I think the real reason is that anyone who might think of invading Switzerland has money in a numbered Swiss bank account.

8. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Thank you for posting this, Dewaine.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, the reason for Switzerland not being invaded is very, very simple: They don't have any (or at least not enough for anyone to care about) oil :D

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

True, true.

11. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

Very true! Italy is invaded every summer precisely for its olive oil.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Olive oil AND horny women looking for the gigolos ;)

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sounds like any women! ;)

14. excalibur

excalibur New Member

Actually, their banking system had managed many people's business for centuries. :cool:

15. Desdinova

Desdinova New Member

Israel is in a similar situation.

Conscription for males and females means the entire populace has military training.

16. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I love my Schmidt-Rubin K31 :D

[​IMG]

17. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

This is really a stretch. Switzerland is neutral and doesn't conscript women.

18. DragnetFan

DragnetFan New Member

I thought the reason they were never invaded was because they are all armed--with Swiss Army knives!

19. Desdinova

Desdinova New Member

I don't think so.

Having that many members of the population trained, armed and on permamnent reserve status makes for a very large army.

So in the cases of both countries, the size of the standing army is no so important as the size of the total available army that could be called up.

20. Switzerland Gun Ownership

The subject of the video is Marc Heim, a representative for ProTell, a Swiss grassroots gun rights advocacy group based in Bern, Switzerland. He is hardly an objective, unbiased source of information.
    American gun advocates should be cautious about using Switzerland as a model for a gun friendly country.
    As opposed to the US, the Swiss government demands mandatory military service for all able bodied males.
    The Swiss government provides the guns and ammunition.
    The Swiss government requires these same persons to train every other year. The Swiss government requires that every soldier keeps his military outfit, his weapon, and war ammunition at home at all times.
    The ammunition is sealed.
    The Swiss government required a weapon acquisition permit to purchase a firearm in a commercial shop.
    The Swiss government prohibits the sale of automatic weapons and accessories such as silencers.
    What would the NRA's reaction be if any of these policies were enacted in the US?
    Switzerland is not invaded for many reasons:
    (1) it does not actively interfere in the affairs of other countries;
    (2) it has no valuable resources to steal, like oil, coal or diamonds.
    (3) it has merged cultures with its neighborhoods. Switzerland has four official languages.
    (4) the secretive Swiss Banking system is more valuable to potential invaders than its actual land.
    (5) if invaded, the Swiss would stop exportation of chocolate, causing a world wide panic.
    (6) no army has a weapon as devastating as the Swiss Army Knife.