Why Trac II and not Atra?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Wawmd, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't like the Atra pivot thing, and it looks to me like something that's going to break over time.

engrsaks likes this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Initially, it was the pivoting which discouraged me from using it. But over time, it feels way more solid as compared to other Gillette's pivoting razors.
    This link perfectly explains my views on this razor :) . I am beginning to love this razor so much, even my avatar features it :) :p

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. engrsaks

Is there any razor that you don't currently own (complimenting your awesome razor collection)? :)

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

There are some I am aware of...;) I am awaiting a Sputnik II in the post.

Darkbulb and engrsaks like this.
  5. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I also love the Atra. I have a nice small collection of the Trac II and Atra's in various factory configurations including a number of specialty handles. I thoroughly enjoy using them all.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe @RaZorBurn123 is the latest addition to the Atra-club ;)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can't wait to get my Atra! I envision me using it as my daily head shaver razor. :happy088:

Billyfergie, engrsaks and Eeyore like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Trac II gave me reasonably good shaves, but the Atra gave me lousy shaves. The pivoting head thing just did not work well for me.

engrsaks likes this.
  9. engrsaks

This happened to me in my earlier stages with atra. Stick with it for a while and you will see significant improvement. :)

Billyfergie and DonMac like this.
  10. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

As for myself, I have a nice collection of Atra's and Trac II's. I prefer the Atra with the pivot, but do realize for some it feels like they have less control of the razor head. I think it's simply a matter of becoming accustomed to it.

I love the way the Atra follows the contours of the face, allowing shaving without having to do any arm or hand gymnastics.

I have many razors, some inexpensive, some very expensive, but I don't believe I have any razors (don't have any straights) that can outshave my Gillette Atra.

In spite of my love for the Atra/Trac II, I do mostly DE shaving as I enjoy the various blade and razor combinations, in addition to shaving my way through history with vintage razors.

I was shaving the other night with a razor over 100 years old, and couldn't help but think that the first person to use the razor could never have imagined that over a hundred years later, someone would still be using that same razor. If the razor could only talk, and tell of it's experiences over a century.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It would be a bloody tale for sure!

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The hooks/prongs that allow the pivot are pretty beefy. Because of that plastic release pushbutton, I've wondered what else hidden inside the head is also plastic, if anything is. The only thing I've had go bad on one is the one my dad just sent me -- the ribbed aluminum handle -- has a very slightly loose head/neck assembly, but it won't come out of the handle (I tried). It doesn't lessen the shave so I'll just live with it.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, only the cap of the button is plastic. The actual lever that gets pushed is metal. I'm not aware of any plastic working parts in the older, vintage Atras. However, I have seen reports of the internal mechanisms breaking, which renders the head non-functional. I don't think it's common, but it is something to consider.

engrsaks, Billyfergie and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, that's just another reason that, of the two, the Trac II is my #1. If the Atra head ever dies, I'll use the handle for a Trac II head. Best of both.

engrsaks and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  15. Jerry-built Hustler

A good Trac II handle will outlive you. My preferred Trac II handle is the Merkur MII, which is a solid piece of plated brass - no moving parts, springs, inlays, threading, or grafting to wear out. It is conceivable that the plating could wear out over time, but it can always be replated should the need arise. I've had mine for eight years now, and it still looks brand new.

engrsaks, Billyfergie and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. I've got a generic solid brass handle. No telling who made it but it's got really chunky knurling so it grips well. My Dad still uses the original Trac II long plastic handle but it has always been too light and cheap feeling for me (nice length, though).

Always liked the look of this particular generic but have never come across one and don't want to buy one online.

[​IMG]

engrsaks and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They are made by a Taiwanese company called Evernice...

engrsaks likes this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Bump Fighter is a really good handle for the Trac2 cart.:) I've never used an Atra.

engrsaks likes this.
  19. engrsaks

I will rise up to defend atra here :) . As far as attachment mechanism breaking is concerned, my assumption is that only those gents experience this problem who have the habit of tapping the razor on the sink during the shave. On Gillette's fb page, one man complained that his attachment button stays in pressed position and it happened as he was tapping it on the sink. I can't dig that complaint out now as it was posted months ago.

20. Jerry-built Hustler

You know what they say about assuming...

CyanideMetal and 178-bplatoon like this.