Why use a brush? I've done just fine so far? (foaming gel)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SpiffyChee, Jun 15, 2010.

1. SpiffyChee

SpiffyChee New Member

Ok. So I may sound like a total noob at this because I definitely am. I got inspired to try a safety razor when i realized my grandpa had 5 of them in his bathroom that he never uses. The three nice ones I have identified to be are: a gillette superspeed 40s, a gillette adjustable fatboy, and a gillette adjustable black beauty.

I've used 3 and 5 bladed razors before with extreme irritation in my neck. I've also achieved equal irritation from electric shavers as my skin is super sensitive. So I wanted to try one of these gillette safety razors out.

I put in some gillette blade I found with the razors (I dont know exactly which kind). Then I pulled out my can of gillette shaving cream and rubbed it on my face by hand and did two simple downward passes. I had one of the best shaves I've ever gotten with zero irritation. I've tried all three razors as of the past few days and have yet to choose a favorite yet. But so far I've been favoring the adjustable fat boy.

Here is where I am confused. There is so much hype and craze about shaving brushes. I used my hands for the past few days with foaming gel and had no problems whatsoever. Is this because I'm using foaming gel that it doesnt matter? I just don't see any justifiable reason to buy a brush. I'm addicted already to shaving with safety razors even with the little experience I have, but I don't see why people feel like they need brushes at all?

Is there anyone out there that doesnt use a brush at all? I mean, I'm obviously not using the super cool soaps and such but is there really any reason to? I put a cheap boar brush from the drugstore against my face (the brush was dry) and it really instantly irritated my face with the bristles. With my sensitive skin I'm more afraid of a brush than a razor at this point.

I kinda feel like buying a cool brush has somewhat to do with peer pressure. Why do we even need it? I definitely got a baby smooth shave today with no irritation with just using my hands. Less of a mess to clean up and less cost.

please lecture me on what I'm missing!

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, you don't need a brush to shave, yeah shave gel works if you want the quickest and most insufficient means of lathering, and painful exfoliation (Dragging a blade across your face works I suppose).

I have had this argument with my GF for about a year now, she finally tried one, realized its not retarded and now knows why my face is softer than her legs.

:happy102

3. Sunburst Six

Sunburst Six New Member

I'll simply say this: try one and find out. And while you're at it try some different razors and a puck of soap.

Trust me, there's a method to all the madness.

4. SpiffyChee

SpiffyChee New Member

haha thanks for the replies guys! yeah I guess I should try one someday... I don't doubt I'll like it.

Here's a question. Brushes are somewhat coarse when rubbed against your face while dry. Do they soften up a lot when wet? I'm afraid I'd end up buying a brush that is too rough. Which style of brushes are the softest? My skin gets rashes pretty easily with rough things rubbing against it.

Maybe you could you recommend to me a soft (relatively cheap brush)?

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

A brush and a good shaving cream or soap is much better than goo-in-a-can, and contributes much to shave quality. Although some brushes can be scritchy and irritating, others are nice and soft. A good way to select a brush is to go to a retailer and see which one you like best. Cutlery and Gift stores often carry wetshaving items, including brushes. I use a Dovo Pure Badger brush, which is less expensive than the silvertip brushes, but also softer than many other non-silvertip brushes.

6. Sodapopjones

I've got $5 that says you're using a VDH boar, which does no justice to boar brushes, let alone high end 2 - band super.

A good brush is going to be soft, wet or dry and most usually soften up more while they soak, hence why mine sits in a cup of hot water while I shower.

Omega Beechwood Boar this is the cheapest and softest brush you're probably going to find for the price, it is comparable to higher end badger without the price tag.

If your skin is really that sensitive you should probably lather in a bowl or scuttle.

[​IMG]

7. SpiffyChee

SpiffyChee New Member

thanks for the advice on the brush! that one seems to get good reviews and is cheap!

So can I even use shaving gel with the brush? Does anyone on the forums use shaving gel with brushes? I haven't heard anything about that.

I really like the scents of the modern day shaving gel from the can. Are there any soaps that are anything similar to this? like the gillette fusion or edge canned foam?

8. Sodapopjones

You can, but I wouldn't let any of my brushes near a can of crap :happy102

If you want more of a modernish scent, I'm not the guy to ask :happy102

9. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Hi SpiffyChee
    I'm on a chemical chuck out. There are so many chemicals in are homes and then we wonder why cancer is so prevalent. Seen how many chems is in a tin of foam or gel? Some can cause cancer I'm informed. Simple soap for me thanks, so I need a brush to make the lather. Want soft? Buy a soft brush. I enjoy face lathering and could not go back to a can. This brush is lovely and soft, its not trimmed to shape so you don't get hairs that have had the soft ends cut off. The hairs are sorted to make the shape. For a modern smelling shave soap there is plenty of choice. Plenty of nice modern smelling shave creams to.
    All that said, choice is up to the individual and don't feel like you have to do anything you don't want to. You have already taken a great step switching to a DE. Good job :)
    All the best
    Sparticus

Attached Files:

10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this also.

I don't doubt that you'll get a better shave with fancy soaps and creams but being on a budget it seems excessive. I'm probably going to try the cheap brush at target and maybe willams soap to see what all the fuss is about.

I've always used barbasol and its under $2 and lasts me about 3.5-4 months.
    So how long do the soaps and tube creams last in general?

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Don't try Williams, it will be off putting, not the best newb soap. Definitely try VDH, Van der Hagen Deluxe , its at Walmart for $1.59 or Select at Riteaid for $2. Also at RiteAid is The Real Shaving Company Shaving Cream, you can use it brushless or with a brush, its excellent stuff for $5.

As Sodapopjones said smartly, a Omega Boar is the ideal budget soap brush. On average they can be had from $10 to $15 from various vendors.Ntguys on ebay, has free shipping on various Omega brushes.

Many good quality shave creams and soaps are cheaply priced and last forever, Arko Shaving Cream or Shaving Soap Stick, Speick Shaving Cream, Erasmic Shaving Cream, Col. Conk soap , Godrej Shaving Cream all in the $3 to $6 range.

If you are on a budget wetshaving will accomodate you well.

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 What he said...Omega brushes under $15, and wonderful.The brush on my face has become one of my favorite parts of the shave, I only face lather because the process of making the lather is like getting a really great facial massage, I'm a little sad when the lathers ready...:))..Arko Shave Stick, alot of peoples favorite soap, under $1 and lasts maybe 6 months...Money is not the issue here...And all this stuff will enrich your quality of life...JoAnnas got such a great selection of creams and soaps to pamper you with, that it makes it almost impossible to narrow it down to a realistic order size...Check it out, at TSD store. Really unbelievable, if there aren't 10 scents there that would knock you out, I'd be suprised...And the quality is there but the prices are way low for what you get...I'm not trying to sound pushey, when I first went back to TWS, I used Gel with a DE razor, then the brush, and I just didn't know...But man, Just remember this moment 6 months from now when you're answering a post like this, and you know how hip this stuff is and you don't want to sound pushey but you know how much this guys gonna dig it...and you can't wait for the mail to bring you some really hip new creams from JoAnna...:)) Enjoy the ride...

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

All the Omegas are cool...Right now I'm living with the 10029 Boar, Big lather in a small brush...You can use the brush with the canned gel, I did when I first came back. But after you try a few good soaps or creams you won't want to. For the same price or less theres a whole world of soaps and creams...And don't limit yourself to the smell of gel...It may be cool to you now, but believe me...don't believe me, just go to the TSD Store thread on this site, and check out the scents for TSD creams...If there is nothing you like I'm sure JoAnna can fix you up with an Edge smelling cream, but just check out that selection. And you can mix any of those oils and scents. And do you see the ingredients...Now those things are actually good for your skin. I always had way sensitive skin especially on my throat, but it started getting less problematic as soon as I came back to TWS. Now I hardly think about that anymore...
    I use the Fatboys younger sibling the Slim...If you don't get caught up in that "how fast can I get to the #9 setting", thing...I've gotten great shaves on every setting on my Slim, and its the lowest settings where you show and develope the most technique...Yesterday I did 3 passes on #1. Got a great BBS and my face felt like a razor had not touched my skin...:)) There is nothing as low impact as a Gillette adjustable on 1 or 2...No more razor burn.

14. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I used to use the nivea canned shave gel with the omega brush that was shown to you above.

I did what a brush was supposed to and that is lather, but the canned goo would do some weird things.
    First no matter how much i rinsed and cleaned the brush the gel would dye the tips of my brush the green gel colour( it finally started to disappear after a few months of shaving with a soap and bowl)
    Also the canned goo started to loosen the glue in the knot and cause the bristles to fall out

I replaced the brush when i got my straight razor and got the same one cuz i love it so much so i have a backup now:p

15. Hi there,

I think you hit on a little known truth to this goofy 'hobby'. I came to the conclusion a while ago that the whole brush/soap thing is the least important of the tools needed for a good shave. Prep, razor/blade combo, and technique are much more crucial elements than something that makes a good lather.

I've read reviews by members I respect who've used various creams without a brush with very good results. The stuff is still very slick, which is the main thing. Cushion is nice, but slick is more important.

I've also seen lots of positive reviews about Barbasol, although I haven't tried it. Personally, I use a very old can of Old Spice(1950s) sometimes to change things up, and the performance is pretty darn good. I was certainly surprised at the results, but there it was.

No hurry rushing into the brush if you don't care to. You can spend the time perfecting the other parts first and have less to deal with getting right.

Hope that helps,

Martin

16. Sodapopjones

+1 on the VDH soap, just as good as any $10+ puck of soap, it just doesn't last as long or have that fancy name brand on it.

[​IMG]

17. SpiffyChee

SpiffyChee New Member

thanks for the advice. Yeah thats a good idea for me to focus on perfecting my blade movement right now till I get better. Then I can have fun with the soaps and brushes. That way I get to extend the fun! haha

and thanks for the tip on the VHD soap. i'll definitely try that when I'm ready

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I rather enjoy the brush and find the brush and good soap more important than the type of razor you use. When my pop taught me to shave about 25 yrs ago, he told me to stay away from the canned crap. I got a brush, an old spice mug, and a puck of williams. It isn't as easy to lather as VDH, but it is a good soap once you master it. That being said, I have become a huge fan of the Arko shave stick. It produces a huge amount of lather rather easily and is just over $2 a stick.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have never tried gel with a brush, but it might work. Kiss My Face creme works great with a brush, and is widely sold. The patchouli scent might be similar to some gels.

20. Batness

Batness New Member

I've been using a DE to shave my legs, so I guess as forewarning that might make a slight difference. : )

I tried shaving with and without a shave brush. At first I didn't notice a need for a brush, I was just using foaming gel as well.

But as I got more addicted to this type of wetshaving, I wanted to try a brush out. So I got some Kiss my Face shave cream and a cheap brush and--I LOVE it.

Now I only DON'T use a brush when I'm in an extreme hurry and I have to use foaming gel or a soap I can lather on my skin directly.

The best way to decide if you "need" a brush or not is to try some shave cream and a brush for yourself. There are cheap brushes available; there's even a forum post about a $9 brush from Target. It's worth it to try it and it won't break the bank.