Why would I even use another brush?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Shotwell, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I feel like I just found my holy grail of brushes. It's a Stirling plisson-type (missing the logo) that I bought for $16. I had never tried a synthetic like this before, but the price was too good to pass up.

It arrived two days ago and I have used it twice now. I am in love with this brush!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448206609.896430.jpg

It is much larger than I expected. Here is a photo of it next to some of my other brushes. The largest is the BestShave "Lider" brush, which as some of you know is pretty massive. The white handled brush is an Omega. The smallest in this photo is the TAOS mini-badger brush sold in their starter kit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448206728.372617.jpg

Anyway, the Stirling is already my favorite (and I have others in my collection besides those on display here, including a couple of vintage brushes I re-knotted and am quite proud of). Here's what I think stands out about the Stirling:

* super soft bristles
    * loads lather effortlessly
    * decent backbone
    * large but well balanced
    * beautiful, even knot
    * dries very quickly after rinsing
    * retains its shape after drying
    * no natural-bristle "stank"

This one is definitely worth the grief you'll get from your wife/SO about "buying another stupid shaving brush." I don't know how it compares to other plisson-type brushes since it is the first of this kind I have tried (and I did love the look of the L'Occitane... I was just too slow to snag one before they quit selling them -- and I had considered the Muehle but couldn't get past the price) but I would assume this brush would compare favorably to other plisson-types.

Bottom line: best purchase of the year for me!

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    And it is a nice looking brush. I am glad you have found your ultimate brush. Your reasoning is flawless. No more brushes for you.

3. Shotwell

LOL. You know that Acquisition Disorder is a powerful thing.

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

sn.jpg

Boojum1 and mrchick like this.
  5. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Since you don't need any others, I'll take care of the rest of yours:rofl:

I keep seeing all these rave reviews for synthetics. I may just have to get one!

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Looks like a stirling kong.

Shotwell and Boojum1 like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't like the Plisson style fibres that much myself; too much reminiscent of a wet mop. I highly prefer the Mühle Silvertip Fibre knots.

8. Shotwell

That one was on my "to investigate eventually" list. Maybe some day...

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Im not one of the people that think they are the brush of the gods. But i do think they are good knots.

The ones used in the stirling brush and razorock brush have more backbone.