Wilbert Cutlery straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mustache, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread, here is the straight razor that my father in law acquired from a neighbor years ago, and being that I'm into these shaving stuff now, he gave to me.

Very clean and very light weight. Can't read most of the box. I can get better photos of the box if anyone wants to decipher it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to get it shave ready and get a strop....

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    znice_razor.png
    I could have spent a fortune on straights. However, I could never get the hang of straights, so I sold mine and put my money in stuff I actually use. I wish I could have worked it out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Mustache likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord Staff Member

Wilbert Cutlery Company of Chicago (1908-1921). This company sold razors through Sears-Roebuck and offered to engrave ($) the name of the purchaser on the blade. I like the covered tang on that razor.
    The box say 'Shumate Cutlery' so I'm not sure it belongs with the razor if the razor states, Wilbert Cutlery.

I recently sold a 3/4" Wilbert with the blade engraved "Made Expressly For EVERETT FISH" who, interestingly enough (or NOT) for you trivia buffs, was a vice-president of the Michigan Postal Organizational Council (1917-1921). :D
    The 'Fish' Wilbert....Wilbert logo stamped on the tang
    SafariScreenSnapz011.jpg

NewellVW, ARGH, 45auto and 2 others like this.
  4. Mustache

Nice! Thanks for the company history. That's what I thought about the box also but wasn't sure. I thought maybe razor made by ABC and sold/boxed by XYZ...
    And the razor is definitely a Wilbert.
    [​IMG]

5. HolyRollah

Attractive scales and matching tang! Nice! :happy088:

Mustache likes this.
  6. Mustache

I'll definitely give it a try.... But do really like the DEs of course.

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Sweet that is in good shape now your journey begins.

Mustache likes this.
  8. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

are those the original scales, or have they been replaced at some point, they're stunning!!

9. HolyRollah

Because of the covered tang with the company's logo, I suspect they are original. Otherwise someone did a very good job in color and pattern matching on some aftermarket scales.

Mustache likes this.
  10. Mustache

Thank you. All original. They just look a little dull but have no deep scratches, chips or cracks.

I don't know if this razor was barely used or used a lot. The blade on my pocket knife is sharper than this one.

11. HolyRollah

Probably not used a lot—but the blade does shown signs it was honed at some point. I often get razors that have plenty of use in their history but the edge is duller than a butter knife.

Mustache likes this.