Wilkinson Protector 3 Cartridges

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by BabyBottomSmooth, Jan 7, 2016.

1. I recently got a Wilkinson Protector 3D Diamond. What a shaver! I love it. Are the 3D Diamond cartridges different from the Protector 3 cartridges? It seems the older 2 blade are almost non existent and the 3D Diamond carts are hella expensive. What is the collective consensus on the types offered? My handle is blue so now I have to get a red, yellow, metall and maybe the Michael Schumacher model.........

Sabre and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Good call on razor - love my Protector razors. I think I got 4-5 of them and they are really fun to use.
    Not sure about the difference between the cartridge versions though...

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Protector 3D Diamond carts were released in around 1998/99, and where replaced by Protector 3 in the mid 2000's to compete with the Sensor 3. 3D Diamond carts are NOS and are no longer produced hence the higher prices. Protector 3 are still available in specific markets, so are either very cheap or expensive if not available locally. Protector carts from 1992? Maybe only in a pack with an original handle?...

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

As Darkbulb knows, you must have all James Bond 007 version's...:)

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is very, very true

6. Thanks gents. I have used this razor for the last month exclusively. It works very well for me. No burn, nicks, irritation. Smooth, not super sharp, goobie strip is very mild. Looks awesome. This 3d pivot is the pre Gillette flex ball, the axis are a little different but the idea and concept seem to be the same. This cart is a 3 bladed Quattro. It worked well with cans, creams and soaps. It has worked particularly well with Williams expert ice blue tube cream. I have used a cart for 7 days, 3 pass shaves.

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Reds and Yellows inbound. I also picked up tons of carts. I get a better shave with the Protector than the Astra or Trac11 and the carts are roughly the same price. I think it shaves as good as the Sensor; those carts are still pretty spendy. I would like a metal for sure, are the 007's metal. Outside chance if you know if the Michael Schumacher Ferrari is metal? Still using the Williams Expert Ice Blue cream. I'm not a fan of the US Aqua Velva, but the Spanish Williams AV is great; leaves you feelin and smelling like a boss.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Some oo7s are metal but not all. Safest bet for a metal is to just get a German "Metal" one when one comes up for sale.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Not all 007's are metal? Say it ain't so...

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not as 'metal' as some I think :)
    I'll check tonight but I think some are of the shiny German Metal, heavier, models - and some are the later 'brushes' look of less weight and metal. I could, of course, be very wrong :)

11. Richardjl41

Richardjl41 Well-Known Member

we cannot find 3 d diamond blades any longer except on Internet!

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah, I buy some when they come up cheap on eBay but true, they're a pain to source. I believe Amazon has the Protector 3 cartridges as well.

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They belong in a museum ;) ...

Curator
    The Cartridge Razor Museum.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So do many of us ;)