Will the real Gillette Aristocrat Junior please stand up!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BlueShaver, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Disclaimers:
    I do not own a AJ Razor
    I am not an authority on the subject.
    This post is just a bit of whimsical mutterings on the subject.
    All credit to this excellent thread as my reference

The Gillette Aristocrat Junior.

Of all of the razors Gillette made and named, the Aristocrat Junior is perhaps the black sheep of the family, both in its form and in its name.

Lets look at that name, Aristocrat Junior,

Aristocrat: According to Dictionary.com
    • *a member of an aristocracy, especially a noble.
    • *a person who has the tastes, manners, etc., characteristic of members of an aristocracy.
    • *an advocate of an aristocratic form of government.
    • *anything regarded as the best, most elegant, or most stylish of its kind:
    • the aristocrat of California wines
    • 1770–80; < French aristocrate, back formation from aristocratie aristocracy
    Junior: According to Dictionary.com
    • *a person who is younger than another.
    • *a person who is newer or of lower rank in an office, class, profession, etc.; subordinate.
    • First recorded in 1520–30, junior is from the Latin word jūnior "younger"
    "Junior" stands out for me as such an odd name to call a razor and a really strange approach when you are trying to sell it. The connotations of it being lesser, inferior, immature are obvious and i find that difficult to understand from Gillette when creating this products identity.

Perhaps it is a generational thing? Back in the late 40's and early 50's, maybe "Junior" meant something quite different than i would think it does today. Much as Samsung might call the 10e version of the Galaxy a Samsung 10 Junior, or Apple Calling the Iphone 5C the Iphone 5 Junior lol.

So if an Aristocrat is the best, most noble, most elegant of its kind (As the Gillette Aristocrat certainly was), then the Aristocrat Junior would be a younger, newer, more immature version of the Aristocrat. However, an aristocrat is still an aristocrat no matter the age (Class is born and not something you can earn or attain lol), so this Junior should have the nobility of its senior.

The Aristocrat was so because of the TTO. It was the first TTO by Gillette and was created in the 30's. The Aristocrat Junior was also a TTO and came later (post war). So perhaps Gillettes thinking behind the naming of the Aristocrat Junior was that it was its newest TTO with a lower entry point. It think it obvious that somebody at Gillette realised that the razor market was moving swiftly and made this new TTO razor its standard model in order to capitalise on sales. The Aristocrat series was always a showpiece razor and not for mass production. It would have been foolish to limit the new TTO design to a low production series.

Lets look then, at the various versions of the Aristocrat Junior:

1st up:
    The 1947 USA Made Aristocrat Junior
    Doesn't look very "Aristocratic" does it? In fact it looks quite workman like. So much so that if you change a word or two on the packaging, you pretty much get a Superspeed

2nd up:
    The 1948 British made Aristocrat Junior.
    A Rocket-esque razor in a blue bakelite box. Given the newness of plastic at this time, you may argue the Rocket's case is superior. However this set does come with a polished blade holders (std issue for the era)

3rd up:
    1949 British Aristocrat Junior.
    The case for this British Junior is a little different than the plastic cases of the British Rockets, but it isn't really much to crow about. It is as workmanlike as its British Rockets brother.
    These Juniors have the flat base plates of the British 430030 Pat, but really, they are a Rocket in most other aspects.

4th up:
    1950 British made Aristocrat Junior.
    This one doesn't even bother with the effort of a case! It just comes in a cardboard box. Even the Rockets of the same era had a proper case.
    In fact, there is a Rocket razor packaged exactly the same.

5th up:
    1951/1952 English Aristocrat Junior
    These are not full brass and only the head is plated.

5th up:
    1952 English Aristocrat Junior:
    Full aluminium.

In my opinion, all of them are fairly ordinary as far as Gillette razor go. Definitely not Aristocratic. It is no surprise to me that these were sold as Rockets in Canada and were nearly identical to USA Superspeeds.
    One thing that strikes me about the Juniors when they come up for auction is how poor a state and condition they usually are in. I am yet to see a clean one.This is perhaps an important little nugget. Gillette often referred to the better razors like Aristocrats as "Hand Polished" in their adverts. You can see the evidence of this hand polishing when picking up an Aristocrat (senior). The plating is glass smooth. This polishing is probably a pre-and post plating process. I don't see evidence of this with the Juniors. They just look dull and plain. (what do i know though lol).
    Nope, in my opinion, the "Junior Aristocrat" had nothing Aristocratic about it at all.

Except for two notable exceptions.....
    1) The #49 Set
    2) The #58 set

The #49 set still doesn't do anything for me. It is still a Rocket and could be easily confused with the aniversary set
    The case of the 49 set is as meh as the #53 for me.

However, the #58 set is something a little bit different.
    This razor was not specifically packaged as a Junior Aristocrat, but Gillette clearly thought of it as such and advertised it so in that single advertisement...
    Remember our definitions at the top of this thread and what Aristocrat and Junior mean?
    Take a look at the #58. (I have one so this is based on my experience of it)
    The case is a scaled down version of the typical British Aristocrat case. It isn't Leatherette, but the red coating and chrome trim and lettering are pure class. This is continued inside with very Aristocratic silk and velvet lining. It is a real treat to behold.
    The Razor continues this scaled down Aristocrat theme. It is solid brass and has much heft to it. The mechanism is Aristocrat smooth and tight. The finish and polish is second to none. There is a fantastic sheen from it. The knurling is pure Aristocrat Barber-pole, but not so that it outshines its bigger brothers. It is not wearing a coat of precious metal like its bigger brothers, but it is none the less for that.
    This razor truly has a Aristocratic heritage. And it is not such that it is "senior" in its presentation. It really does fit the title of a Junior Aristocrat.
    I wonder if this was not deliberate by the English Gillette engineers? A last hurrah from the golden age of English Gillette razors? An injustice and a mistake finally put right?
    I have a few Gillette "Senior" Aristocrats. A #66 and a #22. The #58 sits easily next to them. They are from the same stable. In fact if you asked me to pick out the "Best" razor i have yet to see or use, the #58 would be difficult to ignore.
    It is a fantastic shaver as well in the manner that all the late 50's English Gillettes are. The weight, knurling and balance are class and the aggression is just the right side of efficient to match.
    A wonderful creation that sticks out like a sore thumb against Gillettes later razors.
    Will the real Aristocrat Junior please stand up? The #58 is that Razor. Come and take a bow!

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Junior is an aristocrat head popped on a lighter, thinner handle. And yes, I think they were made to justify the cost of an Aristocrat. Same way that theatre companies use the "medium" popcorn to upsell the "large."

Language is an interesting thing. I remember when the word "deluxe" was often used for a "better" model. It was so overused, that few things are marked 'deluxe' anymore because most people view that word with suspicion and doubt these days, since it was often used in the past to promote sub-par products.

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  3. BlueShaver

Interestingly enough there is an Aristocrat deluxe model lol.

I don't like the Juniors. I think it Gillettes worst effort in marketing and execution. It just seems lazy. They should have stopped them when they issued the Rockets/Superspeeds.

The #58 is something rather special though. A Rocket deluxe if ever there was one.

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know if i would agree with all that. The 58 and the flat bottomed juniors are demonstrably better razors than the average Rocket. The Juniors with stamped baseplates (with the exception of the 58) are just Rockets in fancy boxes.

brit likes this.
  5. Ozwhisker

Ozwhisker Member

Can you tell me what to make of this razor? Judging by the photos and an advertisement I have, it is a British Aristocrat Junior #53 set with the diamond baseplate. The strange thing is it weighs 64g which is too heavy for aluminium and too light for brass.

Attached Files:

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

love my flat plate jr and my #58..the 3rd gen flat plate aristocrat is fantastic as well..my jr is in a canadian set and the crat is a late #15 set..

7. Ozwhisker

Ozwhisker Member

Can anyone help me identify the razor in my post #5 above? It matches the advertisement but I cannot reconcile the weight at 64g as being too heavy for aluminium and too light for brass and I cannot find any reference to an aristocrat junior at this weight.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

1950 (V4) Rocket Set No51 England.jpg
    sounds about right for an all brass diamond baseplate rocket..diamond baseplate rockets are the same razors as the later diamond baseplate aristocrat jrs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Ozwhisker

Ozwhisker Member

That makes sense except it came in the case as shown in the comprehensive guide at the section headed "The 1953-1954 Aristocrat Junior". Could be explained by wrong case for this razor? Any way to tell which model of aristocrat junior/rocket this razor is, definitely one way or the other?

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

the razor you have is correct for the case. the difference with most gillette sets and numbers is the case ,your razor came in many sets with different names and numbers, you have a diamond plate rocket razor available as an aristocrat jr in the years you have listed..there are no other markings on the razor to tell what set/case it was placed in, unless you purchased it new ..hope this helps..

11. Ozwhisker

Ozwhisker Member

Thanks Brit. If I understand you correctly, does that mean it is the same as the one shown in the advertisement in my post, making it a #53 set (as this is the case it came with when sold to me recently)?

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

1950s Aristocrat Jr.Rocket style.jpg A_Jr1.jpg yes..look up "mr razor" on google..

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  13. brit

brit in a box

14. BlueShaver

I adore the #58. It's Such a well executed design in every way. Shaves great too!

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  15. BlueShaver

A post shave report from your new razor would be great to read! Nice catch.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Used mine again today, just because of this post.

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  17. Cearball

Cearball Member

Looks #58.

Shave #48.

TBH the #58 is almost 3rd generation Brit pretty. Catch me on the right day I may even say it beats it.

brit likes this.