Williams mug soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by KronaKid, May 28, 2013.

1. KronaKid

KronaKid Member

first thing first the scent of this soap is pleasant at least that how i found it but the lather i created with it was nice and had a good glide with the razor but it was thin. I let it sit in my bowl soaking in water along with my brush as i showered figuring it would be nice and good to go. Williams was a comfortable shave and i had enough lather for my usually three pass all three pass looked like i was scraping the bottom of my lather. Which is more then false because it fulled my little bowl up to the top with what looked like thick rich lather that was thin but to my surprise still give a good shave. Williams is true a strange soap to be able to pull that off and i will try and make it work to its best. thank you and have a great one

macaronus likes this.
  2. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I have been able to get a real thick and creamy lather with it. Tallow is the key, I have found, to great lathering......and lanolin, for me anyways, to smooth skin afterwards.

3. ruthicon

ruthicon Member

Thanks for the review! My husband picked some of this up on a whim, but hasnt used it yet. Ill let him know its safe! ;)

4. KronaKid

KronaKid Member

Maybe I didn't take enough time mixing it or I added to much water I will try again for abit to see if I can work it. But it is a great soap for the price and left my face nice and soft.

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear someone else likes it. I use it all the time. Next time use a tad less water or spend a little more time mixing. It is tricky to lather until you get the hang of it.

6. KronaKid

KronaKid Member

for the price and just the feel of the thin lather i go today it is worth getting down.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I learned to shave with Williams in the mid 80's. I haven't used it all that much since then, but have my pop's mug with most of a puck in it. I'm not sure if it is modern or vintage, but I used it the last 3 days and it was good soap. It took a little more effort than my other soap, but had plenty of cushion and glide. The post skin care wasn't the best, but was far from terrible. This puck has been in the mug for a while and doesnt have much of any scent left. It just smells like soap. It isn't my favorite, but is well worth the buck and change.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, one of the knocks on Williams - tricky to lather.

BigT likes this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I agree. I have no idea why they changed their formula. The old formula, IMO, had a better aroma and lathered much easier.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I enjoy using Williams on occassion, I actually think it's a really good soap and if it was all I had, I wouldn't be very upset.....The trick that I read about lathering Williams is in water use..It's what I do and it seems to work...Start with a fully water saturated brush....Williams seems to really like water..Whip it up like normal and you'll soon get a nice protective and slick lather....:)

11. KronaKid

KronaKid Member

hmm is a semouge boar brush good to use for williams because that is my usually go to brush and it does a great job with creams which is what i been using to shave. is it good for soap or in this case williams because my lather today looked worst then yesterday and i tried less water more time .

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There is no such thing as a "soap" brush, or a "cream" brush, or a "face lathering" brush, or a "bowl lathering" brush. There is only your personal favorite brush.

You just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

While I generally agree with you, there are better tools for the jobs at certain times. My Rooney 3/3 Super and KimSon Silvertip had such high lofts that they were difficult to load from a puck and face lather. Yes I was able to do it, but it was far from optimal.

14. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I had better luck with a boar brush with Williams than a badger brush. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

15. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

swarden43 and PanChango both make very good points. I happen to use a boar when lathering with Williams on because the one I use has a short loft and good backbone with makes it easier for ME to load the brush. IMO, and I thinks others will agree, if you're having a difficult time lathering with Williams then throw it away and move on. There are just too many other great products out there for you to try.