Williams Shave Soap Old - New

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by redmed, Jul 12, 2019.

1. redmed

redmed Member

I shaved in the 1970's with a Gillette SuperSpeed DE razor and Williams Shave Soap. I changed over to electric shaving when my Father In law bought me a Norelco shaver. A couple of years ago I went back to DE shaving and recently went thru some of my old shaving stuff and found a old Williams Shave Soap puck from the early 70's. I just received today a new puck of Williams Shave Soap I ordered and was surprised to see it is white. The Williams Shave Soap from the 70's is a darker brown/gold color. So I looked at photos of vintage Williams Shave Soap on this forum and YouTube and they are all white just like the new Williams Shave Soap I just bought. Now I'm only 90% sure this old soap puck is Williams Shave Soap. I know Williams changed their formula. So is this old puck Williams Shave Soap? Did Williams make more than one kind of shave soap in the 70's? Or maybe this puck is older than other Vintage Williams Shave Soaps?
    Williams S Soap Old New (1).JPG

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've only seen white

Frijolero likes this.
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I have 1976 Williams and they are White, although they do show age.

Maybe your's aged differently depending on where/how it was stored...

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Never saw anything but white and I only use the vintage.

Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  5. redmed

redmed Member

I wonder what "This Old Puck" is?

Frijolero likes this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Any scent left in it?

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If I had to guess, col conk.

8. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Yep all of the Williams I have used are white. VDH had some pucks that were that color, maybe a glycerin based vdh puck. That definitely looks to be glycerin based.

Weasel640 likes this.
  9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long vdh was around but in the late 80s all you could find was williams colgate and vdh, during the holidays maybe old spice.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. redmed

redmed Member

I could not smell much scent so I asked my wife and she said "It smells like soap".

I highly doubt it is Col Cronk. The first I have heard of Col Cronk is maybe a month ago on this forum. I also first read about VDH a year or two ago on this forum and bought a puck and used it until last week. I remember, I was surprised VDH was white. Probably the first time I've ever seen a white puck. Plus fifty years ago I would have thought that VDH was too high faloutoon. It may be possible it is Colgate or Old Spice but I did not know these made shaving soap until recently, once again on this forum. But that was almost fifty years ago. I do remember Williams Shave Soap vividly. I had this puck inside a Williams Shave Soap box for years until a couple years ago when I took it out of the box and put it in a cup. I shaved with it a week or two to begin DE shaving again. It took a lot to get "that old puck" to lather so I bought VDH. I recently learned of "Blooming", watching some YouTube videos, and have never tried blooming "that old puck". I will my next shave. To see if I can get more lather out of it. Once again I was sure the old puck was Williams until I opened the new box of Williams and was surprised it was white. It is possible "That Old Puck" was something I bought fifty years ago and did not like and put it in a Williams box. If so it would have had to be very cheap. I was counting pennies back then.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  11. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I think it is an old Surrey brand glycerin puck. Surrey sold soaps, cheap bristle brushes, and mugs. They were inexpensive, and nearly as ubiquitous as Williams in US shops into the 80s. Surrey soaps and brushes are today sold as Van Der Hagen. Even their hard, tallow soap was more of a peach tone than white like Williams, so perhaps that is what you have. But either way, I'd guess it is Surrey.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    RyX likes this.
  12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

download.jpeg this was the one I was thinking, it's not the normal one people are used to

RyX likes this.
  13. redmed

redmed Member

Surrey is a possibility. I can definitely say I never saw or heard of Col Cronk or Colgate but Surrey is possible especially if it was cheap. I just wish I could see a vintage Surrey box. Maybe it would ring a bell.

14. redmed

redmed Member

This box is vaguely familiar. I see VHD in the shield. So this is the early VDH?

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Maybe........
    __57.jpg

RyX likes this.
  16. redmed

redmed Member

I pressed "This old Puck" into a glass bowl and used it today. In the past I had the puck in a mug and tried to build up a lather right on the puck. I was disappointed with the amount and quality of lather produced. Today I bloomed it with a small amount of hot water for 3-6 minutes. Used the bloom water to dampen my face and head. Then loaded a synthetic brush into a mixing bowl and produced a surprisingly large amount of lather that was very protective of my skin. I know there is a group that believe in blooming and another camp that do not. Put me in the bloomer group.

17. redmed

redmed Member

Thanks,
    But after seeing that box I can definitely rule out Surrey.

18. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I did a google image search. Here's the Surrey box I remember-
    surrey.jpg

Primotenore and brit like this.
  19. redmed

redmed Member

Jacobite, Thanks for this more likely pic of a box of Surrey soap.
    After seeing this box I'm sure that I have not seen or bought Surrey.

20. Colonel Conk

Colonel Conk Member

Col. Cronk... Since 1972. :confused:

Id bet my last dollar that is a puck of VDH deluxe ca. 1990.