Williams shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by cjw, Feb 6, 2017.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Williams is okay,like everyone says it needs extra water and a bit of work.I actually preferred Colgate when it was available.One had a bit more cushion and one had a bit more slickness.I actually chipped up a partial puck of each and mixed them together and got the best features of both.

Paul Turner and Yehuda D like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

This morning's shave with Williams..
    IMG_1459.JPG
    Had a disappearing lather issue. Only my second shave with it. Have to beat it more I guess.

BigD, Shaver X, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

How dare you speak against the wondrous scent of MWF!

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This was my setup for my Williams Wednesday. Had a great shave.
    sod171018.JPG

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I call them like I see them... )

That said, I do have a puck of MWF here waiting for me to finish one of the current soaps.

BigMark83 likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I picked up a vintage puck about a week ago.

AGHisBBS, jwr3265 and RyX like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Actually, after a good soaking and beating, Williams becomes very compliant.
    :p

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

And a HUGE pain in the ass, no wonder I gave Williams Mug soaps away driving me bloody nuts.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I must not be working it into the lather you guys do - or give up on. I get a lather in about 30-45 seconds. It's not thick, but it is slick enough for a great shave.

10. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Vintage is the way to go if you can score some....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner and Yehuda D like this.
  11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Love the annual Williams thread! Y'all do as you will, but we all know the premier uses for Williams include as a urinal puck, mosquito repellent, or something to rub on a sticky zipper to loosen it up! Anything that can only be lathered with a boar brush, and requires attaching said brush to a rotary drill, is not the soap for me! Here is my Williams setup when I do choose to use it:

[​IMG]

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Umpires do that too y'know(call them like they see them). "STREUHHHH!"

13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I finally revisited Williams today. I tried it years ago when I started and like others became frustrated with it and ended up shelving it. Today when cleaning my shaving cabinet up, found the container, a repurposed Razororock black tub, that I had forgotten about.
    2 different variables this time around.

1. Experience. Probably the biggest factor, and knowing how to lathering anything now, even bar soap if needed.
    2. Synthetic brush. I have been using a synthetic Plisson exclusively for probably 2 1/2 years now and again can make good lather with anything with that brush.

For the price, decent performance with good slickness . The scent to me is just a clean soap smell and IMO a much better scent than ARKO which is in same price range. Performance of ARKO from what I recall is similar to Williams.
    I will likely use Williams for travel now.

Moral of story, revisit those soaps that caused you frustration at a later date, you might just be surprised.

PickledNorthern and sdguero like this.