Williams Shaving Soap Hoarding Disorder...a new disease.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have heard the World Health Organization (Wet Shaving Division) is considering the classification of a new disease: "Williams Shaving Soap Hoarding Disorder", or WSSHD. It seems to be spreading rapidly in the wake of the announcement of the discontinuation/phasing out of our beloved Williams Shaving Soap. I have heard of countless examples of traditional wet shavers buying out existing stocks in fear they will be left without a sufficient supply to carry them into the next century...or buying with the hopes of a payback in a few years when each puck appreciates in value like Wayne Gretzky rookie hockey cards. I have checked stores that previously had an ample supply only to find they are sold out. Fortunately, I have my own supply...enough to last me a few lifetimes.

So...with this in mind...perhaps it is time for others to post their photos of their Williams stock. Here is mine:

Williams.jpg

2. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

When I was growing up in North Dakota my Dad would tell me the thing that gets the farmers to town as buyers, is when you talk shortages, as they knew from WWII. Sales, or promotions wouldn't do it. Now it's happening to the Williams Puck. If this happens to a low demand item like Williams, just imagine a high demand item.

Rusty blade and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Does 8 pucks last very long? I know you have 15 other soaps from another thread,

Rusty blade likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fortunately I don't have to worry about contracting this horrific disorder as I was inoculated upon my first whiff of the soap. :rofl:

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I's funny I saw your post on BB and thought at the time this one would go well on the Shave Den. I really like the shaving reference to the WHO..the display looks great also..:happy088:

NapalmCola and Rusty blade like this.
  6. Rusty blade

One Williams puck used every day used to last me about 4-6 months...so, if you had one puck and used it once every 2 weeks or once a month (in your normal soap rotation)...well...you can do the math. I have no doubt my 8 pucks will last a very long time. And I have no doubt Williams Shaving Soap will resurface under a new owner...somewhere...someday. I live in hope.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    NapalmCola, IDuck and Omelmad like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Yes...the low response rate to my posting may be due to a number of factors: either everyone is out buying Williams Shaving Soap, some may be too embarrassed to acknowledge they have contracted WSSHD, some may be in denial, and for some the impact of the recent news may not have fully been absorbed...hence a delayed reaction. It may also be the case that some are in disbelief that WHO has a Wet-Shaving Division...imagine! Time will tell....

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well you should be pleased. I posted to B&B for the first time in over one year on your thread. Well done.

Rusty blade likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    And maybe some of us have realized that more wet shavers will succeed in the transition from canned goos, now that they won't have the option of starting off with a notoriously difficult soap to lather.

10. Omelmad

I have never seen this packaging before

Rusty blade likes this.
  11. Omelmad

Jupp, that will last a long time!

Rusty blade likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Even though it is NBJ, I went by the shave aisle at Walmart today. No Williams. They did have a good supply of VDH Luxury soap. I like that a lot, too.

NapalmCola, Rusty blade and IDuck like this.
  13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Here here! Exactly right! Good onya, my good sir! How many poor fledgling wetshavers saw that Williams puck, that horrid cheap drug store boar brush, gave it a try and decided, "not for me!" A great disservice to mankind everywhere.:ban::ban::ban:

PLANofMAN, NapalmCola and Rusty blade like this.
  14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have always had a hard time (but not given up on) modern Williams soap. I hope they reformulate because the older stuff is much easier to work with and no industrial cleaner scent and Williams has been around so long it has a nostalgia factor to it so it would be sad to see it go for good.

NapalmCola and Rusty blade like this.
  15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

so I finally pulled the trigger on this stuff since it is going the way of the dodo....it cost me a whopping $1...dont know if I will ever use it but I own it, and will be able to tell tale's with you all one one day in the future....its funny because I have a feeling once this stuff is gone, it will be talked about as if it was the greatest soap ever.

dscaver, NapalmCola and Rusty blade like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've been shopping for Williams the last few days and am up to 15 pucks. I also have 6 vintage pucks that I've not tried yet cuz the modern stuff works very well for me. Think I need to get some more tho. Can't have enough Williams.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Current Williams was the first shaving soap I used and I used that puck all the way up learning to make good lather before moving on to creams and other soaps.

If you can learn to make good lather with Current Williams then you can lather almost any soap with the exception of Burt's Bees and Herban Cowboy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  19. Rusty blade

We share a similar experience...I cut my teeth on Williams when I started wet shaving long ago and used it faithfully for many years. Great soap...

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I have a theory, someone in marketing or high up the food chain is trying to have the same great outcome as the great twinkie scare of a few years ago. They will either go out with increased sales due to every last puck being sold from every last shelf or go out with a fat payday when they sell the rights to another company who will make a comeback with it while it is still fresh in everybody mind. I mentioned this in a different thread a day or so ago. Time will only tell what the future holds. Tomorrow I will take a pic of my "Williams Puck Pyramid" and add to the WSSHD madness that I have been infected with.

GDCarrington, Rusty blade and Omelmad like this.