Williams shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Joey Pellegrino, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Joey! This new hobby can break you if you let it. Have fun with it, that's what is all about. Hope you get a new DE razor soon. When you do you'll see why we all enjoy it so much. Who knows, you may go completely crazy and get into the straight razors too. lol

2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Joey! I bought a Weishi gin metal finish razor from West Coast shaving for about 25 bucks shipped. It's a great starter razor, and very very mild.

3. Joey Pellegrino

Joey Pellegrino Active Member

I am getting paid soon.....guess I knw what I'm getting!!!

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:greet002: Joe......So tell us what are you getting??

5. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I'm going to cast my ballot for both the Williams Mug Soap and the WeiShi DE razor. I started with a Parker DE and had quite the time learning to use it. When I finally bought a WeiShi (based on the 1934 Gillette patent), it was night and day. The WeiShi was way easier to use... much less aggressive.
    I started with Van Der Hagen soap and the C O Bigelow (Proraso) shave cream. I accidentally discovered the Williams at a local pharmacy. I didn't know it wasn't a beginner's soap and dove right in. No problems and I immediately liked it better than both VDH and COB.
    I don't get a big puffy foam beard for lather, though. Instead, I get a nice thin blanket of slickness that stays slick. Before I have to re-lather for my next pass, I can touch up a small area just by keeping the razor good and wet.

JRod22 likes this.
  6. Joey Pellegrino

I've played around with williams and I feel like my face smells like a creamsicle everytime I use it, I like the CO bigelow much better, it makes my face hydrated and leaves a very nice cooling sensation on my face. lol

Raven312 likes this.
  7. Joey Pellegrino

Thank you very much! It seems that The people on this forum are very generous, Steve offered to send me a nice Gillette NEW and I can't wait to try it out!

Raven312 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

If you're not familiar with what a new is, its the new style open comb Gillette razors from like the 30s to 40s. You'll also hear about Gillette old style. Just in case you didn't know what you were getting :D

9. Joey Pellegrino

I was looking all this stuff up. what are the combs for?

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Speculation it was to help guide the whiskers to the blade. Comb, no comb - I really don't see much difference.

11. Joey Pellegrino

Lol well I guess we will see. Once again steve, thank you so much!

12. swarden43

My pleasure.
    By the way, don't buy any more soap just yet ;)

13. Joey Pellegrino

Hahahaha oh god I can't wait, should I invest in a blade sampler as well? I'm looking at them right now.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. swarden43

A blade sampler is a great idea.
    I am sending some Astra SP blades along to get you started, but there's no guarantee they'll work for you. You just gotta try 'em and let your face tell you if they're any good or not.

15. Joey Pellegrino

Awesome! hey steve, if Iwin the march newbie give away, I don't think I need it anymore so you can give it to someone else if that is the case!

16. Joey Pellegrino

and once again, THANK YOU. I really can't thank all of you enough lol

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

" ABSOLUTELY" you can never have too many different blades to try! :)

Joey Pellegrino likes this.
  18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

There are a couple of threads about Van Der Williams, where you grate Williams and pour melted Van Der Hagen over it. Some don't care for it, but I find it is superior to either on their own. Easier to lather than Williams, and to me,provides more lubricity than VDH.

BigT likes this.
  19. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs011:

20. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

For me the key is to submerge the williams in scalding hot water for a minute or two. Then pour off the excess. I don't grate it either.