Wine Snobs

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by JayKay, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Therein lies your -- and most everybody's -- problem. The extent of their tequila drinking experience is that nasty concoction called Jose Cuervo. I guarantee that I could introduce you to tequila that would astound your taste buds. What I'm talking about is sheer sipping pleasure with no harshness and no hangovers. Muy bueno!!! :D

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Send a water bottle of that on over. I'll drink it in the shower :happy102

I'm waiting for the bottle of Gold Label when I go home for thanksgiving. I'm excited.

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

This any good?

[​IMG]

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I have not had this one, so I can't say. Unfortunately, with tequila, there are still many companies putting out an "authentic" and "traditional" tequila product that is more sizzle than steak. I stick to sure thing companies like Casa Noble, El Tesoro, and Partida. There are some other notable tequila brands, but those are my favorites.

5. Bussemand

I have a bottle of Tapatio Anejo from El Tesoro lying around. Haven't popped the "cork" yet though...
    Imports are so damn expensive here. The Tapatio was about 25$ for half a litre and the 1921 that i have my eyes on, costs at least twice that :mad:

6. JayKay

I believe 1921 is just one of the bigger name brands and has the price tag to match.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, unless you live in Mexico, they are imports for us all. ;)

8. Bussemand

Im gonna get those nunchucks out again...

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

:happy102

10. JayKay

Just hold your nose and drink the hooch!

11. Fenix

Fenix New Member

Buying booze with credit is a decidedly bad idea! Enjoy either way though. I am not a wine person but I can tell you much about beer and homebrewing.

12. Hi there,

That 1921 is one of my very favorite tequilas. Yeah, the Reposado's a bit pricey, but man................really nice stuff. Beats the hell outta Patron and Don Julio anejo versions, IMO.

Hehe, happy to enable you,
    Martin

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I think that advice has been given already in this thread :p

14. Bussemand

I don't normally drink liquor straight because the brands that are usually for sale in shops/bars here are horrible- eg. Smirnoff vodka, Sierra tequila etc.
    I found a shop that had a great selection at reasonable prices a couple of hours from where i live, so i buy 3-4 bottles when there. i bought the Tapatio tequila, a Russian Standard vodka and a St. Lucia 2001 Plantation Rum last time i was there. I had a look at the 1921 (allthough in a frosted bottle?) and started drooling from the bottle design alone :whacky011

Wine is so much easyer to find and in a great variety. I tend to buy 10$ bottles of red. Shops usually post reviews from the newspapers next to the wine, so i just pick up whatever gets good ratings, no matter what grape is used, and try it out.

15. JayKay

Thats ok, I dont really have a credit card, it just comes straight out of my debit account. But it says mastercard! I've checked, I dont get an actual line of credit.

16. Gentlemen please - Back to wine ! Decanting is usually only necessary for older wines. Swirling the glass of a lovely red wine will open up the taste and smell of the fruit. When you open the bottle - taste the wine and then swirl the glass letting the wine breathe then taste the difference. I have heard that an open bottle will last a few days but I have never experienced an open bottle to last such length.

17. JayKay

I find that at the cheaper end of the spectrum the younger wines need to be decanted for a while to release full flavors and lower the heat on most of them. It was recommended to me that I should open the wine in the morning and let it decent for the day to be enjoyed at dinner. I've pretty much figured out the answer to my first post, which doesnt matter, because I dont even feel like buying a decanter.

If the wind is closed up and to hot when first opening I'll stick a pourer on with a little thing to stick in it that isnt fully sealed to let the wine breath for a day before drinking. Some days I'll drink the whole bottle and others it sits around the house for a week. It still tastes fine after the week.