Wingshooter or Upland profile Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Scents' started by barbersurgeon, Jul 18, 2016.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Looking to explore a custom shave soap scent.

The dog days of summer, have me eager for the coming of Autumn. With cooler temps and dogs on point. Quail flushing and friends walking the fields. I'd like to have a shave soap inspired by the experience of upland hunting. Hence my quest for combining scents that will be reminiscent of the experience. For days I am training dogs and shooting, and for days that I just wish I could.

A few notes I've considered so far:

Musk. Game birds are quite musky. (just ask the dog how they can find them!) So this seems to be a note that should be included to some extent.

Heather. I'm not likely to be wondering the Scottish Heath anytime soon, but it is a good outdoorsy scent from what I've read. Has some musky character too?

Earth note. As the sun comes up and the frost is melted, an earthy note of mud on the boots wouldn't be out of place.

Gunpowder. Ah, if one could capture the scent of a paper federal shell freshly extracted from the breech of a nice double on a crisp fall morning, they would have my undying gratitude!

Outdoors type scents. Scotch pine, not much of a grouse hunter but just as a rounder for the outdoorsy profile it might have a place. Not sure of other scents that could round out the outdoor profile?

Not sure if there is a 'dry grass' scent, but it would have a place here. Heather might cover this, though.

I decline including sage, but an upland hunter from the western US might very well wish it in the blend.

Other thoughts? A touch of menthol for frost effect comes to mind.

Perhaps blending these scents in a shave soap will end up in something completely unintended or non-representative of a cool Autumn day afield. I'm not versed in the process of combining different scents in a single product. Besides a few eo doctored witch hazel experiments, I have no hands on experience in such matters. So I'd be looking to have one of the more crafty vendors help me with this if it ever gets to that stage.

Thanks for reading my rambles, and any suggestions you might have...

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Consider blue spruce & cedarwood.

barbersurgeon likes this.