Witch Hazel as Aftershave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by CliffDweller, Jul 10, 2022.

1. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I have always liked the kick that an alcohol aftershave gives you when you slap it on, but I've been using witch hazel recently as an aftershave and my face seems to like it.

Anyone else do this? Is that a valid use of witch hazel?

Since the pandemic started I have tried to simplify my life and have perfected the 1-pass DE shave where I used to do 2 passes. This has been good for my skin, less burn and irritation. Using witch hazel and then putting on a moisturizer after the witch hazel dries, seems to work well for my face.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For aftershaves, I have only 4:
    Brut 1-2x per week
    Wild County Balm 1-2x per month
    Clubman Osage Rub 1-2x per month
    Witch Hazel 5-6 times a week

I shave every day.

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I use witch hazel with osage rub mixed 50/50. It relieves any burn and sooths very well

4. brit

brit in a box

Thayer's original and lemon astringents with menthol crystals.

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I use witch hazel after the shave then apply a aftershave after that. There are times where my face seems to start to itch and when i apply aftershave again it stings something fierce!

6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Witch hazel does work as an aftershave. It’s what I mainly use for my shaves. I just added menthol to mine for a cool finish.

7. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Witch hazel is a perfectly good aftershave due to its astringent and cleansing properties. To mine, I add glycerine, aloe vera, and tea tree oil.

8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I use astringent WH 50% of the time, and toner WH 50% of the time, both followed by an ASB.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Witch hazel splash is the only constant in my shave. The cheap stuff on the bottom shelf at wally world. The burned newsprint scent fades after a minute.
    Edit: ...and then I apply an aftershave, for the scent.

Ron R and CliffDweller like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Lucky Tiger has witch hazel in it along with chamomile. It has a slight citrus scent that fades fast.

11. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Witch hazel immediately after shave, then aloe gel 10 minutes later.

I have oily skin; aftershave baums don't work for me.

12. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

For the last couple of months I've been using Southern Witchcrafts aftershaves. they have different scent notes but the ingredients are the same: Witch hazel, water, aloe gel, fragrance, vitamin E, glycerin. All good stuff.

Paul

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Witch hazel with a styptic pulverized and dumped inside is mine. Shake well and apply generously when there's any nicks or even if there's not. Let dry, then comes Lucky Tiger tonic. Finally, when that dries, slap on whatever a/s is in reach. For me, that's the winning combo.

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Witch hazel I use it every shave, from face cleanse of residual soap that is usually alkaline on the pH scale to watering down strong scented aftershaves.

15. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

After every shave, I wipe off any shaving lather that remains with a wet shaving towel and apply witch hazel to do a deeper cleaning (currently using Stirling Soap Company unscented witch hazel). I leave the witch hazel on while I clean up my razors and put away everything. Then wash off the witch hazel and apply a shave balm.