Witch Hazel before AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Razor Blade 79, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I've never used witch hazel before. I know using an alcohol based after shave splash is an astringent too so would there be any benefit to using WH before something like Aqua Velva?

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yes, there is! My regular routine is witch Hazel, let it dry, then AS splash. The witch hazel offers healing and soothing benefits, and I can tell the difference if I omit the step. If you are leary of 2 alcohol applications, get Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel.
    image.jpg

ObiDon, Boojum1, Bristle Me and 4 others like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

An excellent tip. :)

Boojum1 and John Beeman like this.
  4. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

My daily post shave routine: thayers witch hazel applied. let it dry. apply aftershave balm of choice.

Boojum1 and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I actually use commercial after shaves more like cologne, and do not like to splash them on my face. Too harsh.....

Witch hazel based splashes work really well for me, and as Jerold mentioned are very healing and mildly astringent. I rotate Thayers Cucumber, Stirling Coniferous and Kramperts Bay Rum. They all leave my face feeling great.

FYI- If you have a GNC in your area, you can score some Thayers Cucumber locally....

Boojum1, ObiDon and jeraldgordon like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

8. Razor Blade 79

Well I don't mind a second alcohol splash, I like the burn. I'll snag a bottle today. There's a GNC at my local mall, I'll check them out. I've seen WH at my local grocery store too so I might get it there, it's not thayers though.

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

I bought a bottle of CVS brand of witch hazel and was wondering if adding a little of tee tree oil would be good mixture to get the tee tree scent ?

Boojum1 likes this.
  10. Witch Hazel is an astringent but also has a soothing effect to it as well. My regular routine is to either use Witch Hazel or Alum Bloc and then follow up with a AS Splash or Balm after it dries.

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Long term use of witch hazel can really benefit your skin. It helps moisturize, tightens skin, helps heal, helps get rid of bags under the eyes, etc.

I use it every day and let it dry. Then AS and finally, cologne.

Try adding a few drops of essential oil (I use about 20 drops / 16 oz - YMMV) of your favorite scent. It is really nice.

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to try it. Does it have its own scent? I like the idea of adding essential oils.

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Straight witch hazel has a mild but somewhat unpleasant smell (to me, anyway). If I couldn't lay my hands on one of the scented Thayers varieties, I would definitely be adding some essential oils.

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

I made up several smaller bottles, each with a different scent. I mix and match them with whatever scent cream/soap I happen to be using that day.

I buy no-name alcohol free in bulk for about 1/2 the price of thayer's. Then, a few drops of oil and and you have basically the same thing. I have also tried it adding name brand colognes. You have to add more cologne than essential oil, but if you like to layer your scents, it works great.

Boojum1, dscaver and SDK like this.
  15. SDK

SDK it's his fault

That's a great idea. I have been thinking along those lines after realizing that's basically what the commercial formulations are.

Have you tried it with any of the Clubman scents???

16. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

This is what I do. Not only is the scent better but the Tea Tree Oil has really helped clear up my skin.

Boojum1 likes this.
  17. markjnewcomb

No. But, there is no reason it should not work with clubman.

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I use Dickinson's WH after my CWR, then I do my clean up routine and brush my teeth. After that, I do the after shave thing. I have my WH and AS in 3 oz spray bottles. It makes it easy to apply and it lasts longer too.

Boojum1 likes this.
  19. Razor Blade 79

I just got out of my local GNC, bought two bottles of Thayers for $8 a bottle. I got a rose and a cucumber bottle. I almost didn't get them, I asked the guy at the counter and he said he's never heard of the stuff and they didn't sell it. As I was walking out I saw the bottles on a lower shelf. The salesman was surprised they had it. The guy didn't look to bright...

Boojum1, dscaver and Bristle Me like this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

It was probably his first day after leaving AOS...