Witch Hazel for Skin Care?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Jondo, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Jondo

Jondo New Member

So I was looking at Thayers - Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera as an aftershave product. Reading more in depth online, I've stumbled upon a few pieces of info stating that Witch Hazel is also great for acne/blemish reduction?

Do any of you have experience with this product and scent as an aftershave or general skin care product?

2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Welcome Jon! :signs046:

I agree completely. I've been using Thayers (non-alcohol formula) with Aloe for months now. I will not do without it. It's that good.

SDK likes this.
  4. Jondo

Jondo New Member

Thanks for the thread SDK! Lots of good info in there!

5. Jondo

Jondo New Member

Any info on the Rose Petal scent? I've never used anything cologne wise with this included?

6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

As far as skin care they are all pretty much the same in my opinion. I use the cucumber because that scent meshes better with the natural smell of the witch hazel for me. YMMV

As for the Rose scent I don't know, and scent is so subjective. Your best bet is to find them in a retail setting and sniff for yourself...

7. Jondo

Jondo New Member

I just placed my order to get my starter set going. I just plunged in and went with the rose scent, which had high reviews and was relatively inexpensive. I posted my order in my newbie thread, but seeing how you've been so helpful on this topic, I'll throw it in here to see what you think. I was trying to get my best bang for buck and stay price conscious for my first attempt at this.

Razor - Lord LP1822L (L6)
    Blade - 16 Feather, Derby, 7 O'clock, Astra, Nacet, Bic, Bluebird Blade Sampler
    Brush - Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
    Aftershave / Skin Care - Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera (Alcohol Free). Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Creams - TOBS Sandalwood, TOBS Jermyn Street for Sensitive Skin, Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

You will do great with that combo, especially if you are currently using cartridges and canned foam. You have some really nice products in there :happy088:

9. Jondo

Jondo New Member

Awesome! That's what I like to hear!!

10. TMDE Dan

TMDE Dan Member

I have used Thayer's rose and their lavender scented WH. They are both non alcohol. As mentioned before, the skin care of WH can't be beat, from shaving and general skin/blemish care. The scents of the Thayer's are just right. Enough that you can smell but not too much at all (the scents are just strong enough to make you want more).

11. Jondo

Jondo New Member

This is great! I can't wait to receive my purchase; It should reach my house on Wednesday. I find all this info so intriguing. I wonder how many of you that have significant others... do they enjoy your products and care as much as you? Do they have any favorite scents on you? I ask this because my girlfriend has different taste in some scents than I do, but i'll still wear something I don't necessarily love, just because she likes it.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Thayers witch hazel seems to be unscented. It's awesome.

13. SDK

SDK it's his fault

My feeling on this is coming from someone who has not been doing this a super long time, so YMMV definitely applies.

My wife loves all of the soap scents and such. However, I have not found anything in the way of soaps, creams or witch hazel based aftershaves that in any significantly lasts more than a few minutes beyond the shave. The Thayers Bay Rum AS does linger for a while, but is very mild. I consider the smell of these products to be "for me to enjoy"...

Once you move into the category of alcohol based commercial aftershaves like Clubman, Old Spice, etc... that have staying power, that is when to get your girlfriend involved. Those I categorize as "for her to enjoy" and pretty much only wear ones that my wife likes...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  14. Jondo

Jondo New Member

Ahh good to know. I'll have to take a trip with her to macys and pick some with her.

My girlfriend wears lotions and body butters that I loooove the smell of on her, I didn't know if the shaving creams would leave a similar trail.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband also uses Thayers rose. It is a pleasant smell but not overly strong or lingering.