Witch Hazel users..how do you apply?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by MikekiM, Dec 9, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Subject says it.

I am a lover of Thayers WH pads.

What are your preferences ?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use Dickinson's brand and I just pour a healthy handfull and splash on liberally, clean the razor and then apply my balm, man what a great feeling that is.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:signs011: This is exactly what I do.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

:signs011: Me too. I, however, use Thayer's.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Yep I am now a user of Thayers Lemon and Rose Petal , I pour in the hand and splash, at $6 a bottle from Vitacost, a nice bargain. If I use Dickinson's I pour some together in my hand with Pinaud Bay Rum and splash on.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Splash by hand as needed!

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: Usually follow up with a sented aftershave or cologne.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  8. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Pour on a cotton pad and apply

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Splash on liberally. I have been experimenting this week using it first then applying my after shave, it has worked out really great.

10. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

I use Proraso aftershave which contains WH, and splash by hand....kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

11. m_conley

m_conley Member

I use Speick Aftershave lotion (splash) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQI70I/?tag=thshde-20 which contains WH. I Splash by hand, then clean up shaving area and brush my teeth then I apply Nivea Revitalizing Double Action balm.

This seems to work well form me. The Speick was my runners up choice when doing my first DE order at Amazon. I initially wanted to order Proraso, but at the time the vendors on Amazon were all sold out. So I went with the Speick. I like it, but I have not used any other WH aftershave to compare it to. I'm still interested in trying Proraso and perhaps just some straight WH in the future.

12. qwkdtsn

qwkdtsn Member

Just picked up a bottle of Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel today, which was exciting as it's always a bit tricky to find the products I want here in Puerto Rico. Following the advice I've been reading, I just splashed a little in my palm, rubbed it on both hands and went over the whole beard area after shaving, with enough left over to wipe over the rest of my face, too. Feels and smells nice!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Interesting. So all but one of you splash it on and none of you rinse afterward?

Something new to try!!

14. swarden43

Correct - for me, no rinse afterward.

15. Williams Warrior

You shouldn't rinse it off as it is medicine for the skin and needs to soak in and be absorbed to do anything.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

While I'm using it on customers at school I use a neck strip and apply it that way (it helps with the removal of any loose hair while working its wonders), when at home I use a cotton pad. I was suprised at how many had never used it or even knew what it was. I am getting a following now when it comes to the hot shaves due to all of the little extras I do from what I have learned from here. The art of the razor at Barber schools seems to be falling off being popular. Out of 37 students only about 4 of us will still do the shaves with a razor, the rest try and use clippers.

Hanzo likes this.
  17. swarden43

Get yourself some TSD M Bomb, put 2-3 drops in your palm, squirt a bit of witch hazel in, rub palms together, slap onto your face. Just as cold as Osage Rub, no scent, and all the medicinal benefits.

18. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I love Thayer's Lavender and Rose WH and use them liberally after a cold water rinse (post shave) and quick pat down with a towel. I'll often follow with an alcohol based aftershave, but not always. No rinsing off of the WH though, I let it do it's thing with botanical goodness!

Bird Lives likes this.
  19. Williams Warrior

Using clippers for a shave is a complete waste of time, unless your going for that 5 o'clock shadow beard that's popular now.

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree, but for me it's a good thing that so many of the new barbers are scared of the razor. It just means I can offer one more service to my customers and stand out a little more in my field. Here in TN, when we go to board we only have to know the 14 strokes to shave, and when they have to preform it at state, it is without a blade. In KY they can still use a real straight razor (vs. the shavettes we are forced to use here) and have an apprenticeship before they can complete their full boards and become licenced Master Barbers.

GDCarrington likes this.