Witch Hazel ?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by oldfat1, Jun 21, 2008.

1. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Many of the members here have talked about using Witch Hazel after shaving or an after shave that contains it. So today I stopped and checked it out, and the label on the "Dickinsons" brand said it was an astringent, and used to clean.

Wouldn't it be used before shaving? As part of the face washing?

Just wondering,

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

From Dickinson's web site; "Witch Hazel is...an efficacious herbal extract with exceptional cleansing, soothing, and healing properties."

I would assume that the "soothing and healing" part would explain why we use it after the shave. And I do find it quite soothing. Most guys shower before shaving so that takes care of the pre-shave cleansing. :)

3. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

If you're thinking of trying it, you might like to know that Dickinson's has a reputation for not smelling too good. Thayer's (which I use) is available at Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, and on their web site. They even have a sample pack available.

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Dickenson's smells just fine to me. I've used it as an aftershave and it can be quite soothing (especially if you've managed to get a little irritation with the shave). Many barbers would mix witch hazel with an aftershave such as Clubman. I've tried that and it serves to minimize the burn of the regular aftershave but still provide the benefits.

I was just reading a barber manual from 1898 and the after shave procedure recommended was to use either bay rum or witch hazel. It stated that bay rum would smart and witch hazel would sooth.

Many people love Thayer's and I think it would be worth trying both for yourself.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

I've never tried the Dickensons, but the Thayers Lavender and Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazels are both top notch in my book ;)

6. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I've never heard of witch hazel being used as a pre-shave. As a home remedy it's primarily used to treat nicks and cuts. My wife used it while our kids were growing up on knee and elbow scrapes. It's also widely used for insect bites. It's even supposed to cure athlete's foot.

Over 98% of witch hazel sold in America is made by American Distilling of Connecticut who owns both brands of Dickenson's (EE and TN). Thayer's buys raw witch hazel from American Distilling and adds its own scents. Generic dollar store and drug store brands come from the same American Distilling factory so consider how much you're willing to pay for a name and odor. Almost all witch hazel sold in the U.S. is 14-20% alcohol since pure witch hazel quickly spoils without a preservative.

There is a difference in American and European witch hazel. The American product is distilled while the European version comes from soaking the twigs and leaves of the witch hazel plant in water. The American product is much stronger.

See the earlier thread.

Richard

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I only used a witch hazel once, I think I'll get back into it because of the benefits I've been told about it.

8. azshaver

azshaver Member

I tried some Clubman because so many seemed to like it and it is cheap. I thought it was awful! I mixed it with witch hazel, toned both the bite and the cloying smell nicely.

9. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

emsplace.com has a witch hazel aftershave which is very good. It has no burn, and smells kind of earthy.

10. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Thanks everyone.

I now have a bottle and will try it tommorw.

I'm thinking like after the rinse, but before the aftershave. Is that right?

I use ABAS, (yes Will, sometimes even AV), so I'm guessing to use it before the pores close.

11. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

That's the way I do it.

I usually wait until it dries before putting on the aftershave but then I'm retired and never in a hurry to get anywhere. Many times I just use witch hazel and skip the aftershave but other times I follow the WH with AS then Clubman shave talc.

Richard

12. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

That's what I do. I also use it on my head after shaving my noggin.

13. I use Dickenson's and like it but to each their own.

14. Sunburst Six

Sunburst Six New Member

I use a generic bottle of witch hazel from walmart. $1.64 and it lasts forever, can't beat that with a stick.

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

It is on my list to try but I will try the regular thayers stuff the rose and lavender stuff, not for me.

16. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Thayer's lavender sounds intriguing to me....

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

It is Awesome! I have Thayer's Rose, Lavender and unscented (astringent). Also a bottle of Dickinson's. The Thayer's all feel the same, but the scent of the Rose is not to my liking and I don't notice any astringent qualities in the unscented one. I use both from time to time. Lavender, however...is a beautiful thing. Almost daily.

Dickinson's just feels...different. Not very pleasant at all compared to Thayer's. Don't recall what I paid for the Dickinson's, but it doesn't matter as I'll not be buying more. Thayer's is $8 or so, and I see no reason to try another brand. GREAT STUFF!!

18. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

That's what I use as well.

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

.........and I use Humphreys..

20. Padron

Padron Active Member

With all the dough spent here on shave gear, the $7 for the Thayers is well worth it......

The Rose and Lavender are incredible.....so much better than the Dickersons and the like....one smell and you will be sold....the skincare properties are great as well :D

Michael, you can send your Thayers Rose my way for proper disposal :happy005