with, across, and against grain on neck

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jcr12388, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

i have a very random growth pattern on my neck hair. my cheeks for the most part grow downward so a pass with then against the grain does an outstanding job. as for my neck, in some areas i have to do north, south, east and west passes lol. is this true for anyone else?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think a lot of guys have crazy growth patterns on our necks. Mine just can't decide which direction is want to grown.:happy093: Makes using my straight on my neck a pain in the butt. Going W > E right under the jaw line is difficult for me. Sound like you have it figured out at least.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, my neck is my least fav. spot. If all I had to shave was my cheeks I'd be in great shape.

JRod22 likes this.
  4. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Yea my Adams apple area grows n-s sides of neck and jaw area grows e-w w-e but closer to my ears the e-w reverses. So to go atg on my neck I have to go in 5 different directions its a major headache

JRod22 likes this.
  5. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I suspect neck hair growth pattern is more akin to fingerprints rather than lumber. My right side of Adams Apple is a whorl pattern from spiraling downward from chin and then upward and inward from the bottom of my neck. Wheras the left side of my neck is an upward growth at about a 40 degree angle to the point of my chin. Now that I know the grain my neck doesn't give me too much grief. My personal tough spot is the inferior portion of The Ramus on the left side. Figures since it is sinistare

6. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

My neck hairs form complete Mandelbrot Sets! No matter how many passes there is always a patch that is sittin there laughin at me.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the hair growth in all directions. After trying in the VERY beginning to get consistant BBS and instead got consistant irritation. I've settled on consistant DFS irritation free shaves.....:)

8. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

ya i guess i have figured it out, but going in all those directions irritates my skin. if i don't go in all directions i still get a great shave tho. only i am a perfectionist and want a fantastic shave. to the naked eye nobody would be able to see the hair anyways. it really is very unnoticeable. just noticeable to me haha

9. Star

Star Active Member

I also have this issue. Mine grows straight down in the middle, then at at 45 degree angle on either side...when I get close to being under my ear the hair actually changes direction and grows at about a 45 degree angle going up. Not something I even realized until I picked up wet shaving.

10. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Yeah, the patterns on the neck can be, well, a pain in the neck. I use both straights and DE, and DE really has an advantage here. Next to my adams apple is a small area that all the stretching and angling in the world can't get BBS, but I've found a 'fish hook' technique that does well. Rather than trying to describe it, take a look at a YouTube video by Mantic59 entitled 'Advanced Shaving Techniques'. You produce a little 'sworl' near the end of a short pass, still keeping the edge of the blade perpendicular to the direction of travel (of course). With a straight, don't know.

11. TimS

TimS Member

Mine frustrates me in two ways: the grain pattern forces me to use contorted blade positioning to do WTG passes (I'm still a newbie, so still trying to figure that out), and when I went for BBS on my jawline, I got two nasty ingrowns that I can't get rid of, even with minor DIY surgery. Might be talking to my doctor in a couple more weeks if they don't clear up somehow.

I'm not going to try that again for a while...

12. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I have the exact same issue. Many times I even perform a 4th or 5th pass just to get it all. When I first started wet shaving to prevent irritation due to W>E or E>W passes I would massage hair conditioner onto my neck area during my preshave. Then with the conditioner still on my neck I would cover it with a hot towel. After a minute or so I would rinse off with hot water and then apply my lather. I did this for several months until my skin got accustomed to the DE razor. IMO these horizontal passes are the most difficult because you have to apply pressure to keep the razor against your neck. Just make sure the pressure is a light as possible and let the razor just glide. Hope this helps.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Makes using my straight a "pain in the butt" :happy097:

JRod22 likes this.
  14. mdarnton

mdarnton New Member

Yes. My chin line, and just under it, they're a mess from ear to ear. Above and below, no problem. I've settled for going in every possible direction and crossing my fingers. I have a 7X mirror mounted on scissors, and at the end I'll go in for the kill on the last bits I can see in that. Still, every day, after it's all dry, I end up spreading Nivea skin creme somewhere, and going back in to get the last little mess, somewhere. I've found that a shavette, though nasty aggressive, get's those last bits that my straight missed.

15. Geo

Geo Active Member

My neck is crazy and even on my face I have weird patterns. At first, took me 6-7 pass under my chin till I figured out the growth pattern and how to attack it properly. It sucks because I have really dry skin and I get easily irritated and to make it worse the whiskers lay almost completly flat on my neck which make it a real challenge to deal with. I usualy end up with a lil irritaion no matter what I do but luckily, it doesn't last long especialy if my technique is spot on that day :)

16. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

After many trials and errors, I go in a diagonal direction on two passes on my neck. My biggest problem is my lower neck which I only shave about every 3 days. Luckily I have red hair ( now that I'm aging nicely, it's more rusty than red lol) which doesn't jump out as much as dark hair. I have what I call my alligator skin or hide on the low neck. Just this past 2 days, I was going ATG diagonally and received more of a pinch rather than a cut or nick on my gator hide area. I use moisturizers regularly, but am guessing I will never be able to have the skin there as smooth as the rest. Perhaps it's the gravity issue in the aging process (sagging skin) .

17. Geo

Geo Active Member

I just had my shave today and man I had a heck of a time getting my neck especialy under my chin. I had to do like 4-5 passes to get it all and same wioth my lower sides or my neck and I ended up irritating my neck allot. Idk just one of those not so perfect shaves I guess eh what ya gonna do?

18. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Me too, yesterday I got my neck fine, BBS, but today I got a slight burn, I think because my buffing needs practice.