withdrawn

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fram773, Mar 10, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One thing I found out about this Semo model is that it did require some time for it to really 'bloom' into what it is today:
    A very versatile, soft-tipped brush whose performance is top-notch…NOW. When I first got the brush, it appeared just as yours does in those photos—wild hairs, clumpy, poor absorption, long dry times. What I began doing with each use—and really reaped the benefits by doing this each time—was to thoroughly dry the brush by vigorously painting with it on a hanging towel.
    In no time, the tips softened, wild hairs tamed down, and it bloomed out significantly. Much better lather absorption and with the larger volume between the bristles, air flow increased and drying times reduced. It is now not even close to that same clumpy brush I originally had. A 'full-feeling' spongey brush with very soft tips...
    [​IMG]

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

A late bloomer with a wild hair up its' knot.

4. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

That bursh looks like it could user another squeeze and a good shake to get the water out, and what HolyRollah said really helps with boars. And you might throw in a hair dryer in the equation every now and then.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

LOL :happy096::happy097::happy102::happy108::rofl::signs136:

6. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

All of my Semogue boars look like the one illustrated in your pictures when finishing a shave. Just give it a good squeeze in a towel, shake out as much water as you can, and then let it dry. After they dry, they will begin to look like HolyRollah's . Just be patient and keep using it. After a couple dozen shaves you will be rewarded with a neat bloom and soft tips that will only get better with time.
    I have a half a dozen or so of the Semogue boars and love each one. IMHO, they are the best boars on the market.

I attached a pic of my 1438 which I think has a knot similar to your brush. Also well bloomed 2000 and 1305.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    The_Dude_Abides likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love my Semogue. It's my favorite boar. My first shave with it was June 20, 2013. I use it every third shave. I don't recall it ever having a bad smell, and it broke in very quickly.
    semogue_brush9.jpg

PanChango and PatrickA51 like this.
  8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Yeah mine didn't have a smell either. Must be because it's treated with the badger-like band.

9. PatrickA51

None of my brushes did not have a smell my VDH Badger or my VDH Boar, and my WD 30/65 Silver Tip Badger.
    Maybe we were lucky. :bounce015:

10. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

You got lucky when I got my WD 30 it smelled horrible!

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Those are all good lookin' brushes gents! :happy088:

Fram I'de say just keep on using it and that Semogue will more than likely trim out fine.

fram773 likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

The only thing I did with my brushes was to wash them before I used them. I use Jason's Tea Tree Satin Soap. Then rinsed them and let them sit and dry over night. Go figure?

13. LookingGlass

Couldn't say it better myself. If blindfolded, I could not tell my 1305 boar from a badger. Dollar-for-dollar I believe the 1305 is the best brush on the market.

entropy1049 likes this.
  14. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I had this same brush, didn't care for it. Traded it for a whipped dog badger.

dscaver and Weeper Warrior like this.
  15. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I usually shake the excess water into the bathtub and then rub it on a dry hand towel. I never hang them soaking wet. The Semogue 830 is on of my favorite brushes.

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Luv my SOC boar

[​IMG]

entropy1049 and 2grubswrestle1 like this.
  17. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

I have the Semogue 620 and love it...The Semogue 1305 is going to be my next brush.

entropy1049 likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not too long ago, I started doing something with my wet boar brushes when the knots began to splay wildly from use in order to try reshaping them into a more practical form.
    I found that the wider the brush splaying became, the stiffness or 'backbone' diminished, plus it became messier and more difficult to control the brush in use.
    SO.....after rinsing the brushes and wringing out excess water, I slip the brush into an upright empty bathroom tissue roll.
    [​IMG]
    The porous cardboard tubes leech out excess moisture from the brush, and the result is this: a tighter, denser boar brush with extremely soft, densely-packed tips.
    Plenty of good boar backbone and the softness of the packed tips is more reminiscent of a good badger brush. Easier to control, too.

BEFORE tubing: wild thing... AFTER tubing: Fat, soft, dense & happy....
    [​IMG]

Warhorse, Slow Joe, Adonis and 9 others like this.
  19. LookingGlass

Let's see. If we were to put out a contract to engineer and manufacture this "Boar Brush Bloom Controller" we would have to write requirements and a specification; put out a Request for Proposal; receive and review the responses for technical merit and cost; request Best and Finals; award the contract; be prepared to manage the lawsuits from the non-selected vendors; and then encounter endless delays and cost overruns. In the end we would have a gold plated multi-million dollar "Boar Brush Bloom Controller" instead of the highly effective product HolyRollah engineered from a simple bathroom tissue tube.:happy097:

Good job!!

BigT, Adonis, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm trying out the tissue roll this week. :)