withdrawn

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by fram773, Sep 24, 2014.

?

what do you think of artisan soaps?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2014.
  1. I love them

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. i use them but they could use some refinement

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I prefer commercial soaps

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I dont like them

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some I have enjoyed; others not so much. The ones I have liked lather nicely and hold up up with good lubrication.
    Those poor performers develop thin, bubbly lather that dissipates quickly. I would expect this broad range of results as we users are tapping into a field where there is a HUGE variance in the levels of soap-making experience.
    A top artisan performer, such as Mike's Natural soaps, can be as enjoyable as any of the 'big guys.'

BamaT, crackstar and fram773 like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

There are soaps you like and soaps you don't like. Calling every artisan soap overrated is silly. That's like saying I don't like root beer, so root beer's overrated. Buy what you like and don't worry about the rest.

J_Man, Adonis, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Artisan is certainly not code for amateur. I would say however, that a few of these artisans may have an entirely different idea (if any) of what a good shaving soap is than you do. In the grand scheme of things, shave soap is a somewhat obscure product, only a minimal percentage of the general population even knows what it is, let alone how it should perform to yours or my exacting standards.

5. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I kind of feel the opposite. I've only used a few commercial and artisan soaps but the big commercial ones like Prorasso and VDH sit in my draw while I go through the artisan ones. I find the commercial ones leave my face feeling dry, smell very artificial and are generally not as nice to use while the artisan ones smell more natural, leave my face smooth and comfortable and are generally much nicer to use.

Capslock and fram773 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good or Bad. We are so fortunate to have so many artisan soap makers, imagine living in a world where you only have one choice. Applaud your artisan soap maker! Support them!

FlightMedic, Lfs70, BigMark and 5 others like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've experimented with a lot of soaps and I found some excellent artisan soaps. I've found a few lemons too. I'm very content to use artisan soaps and don't feel that I'm missing a thing when compared to commercially manufactured soaps. I'll still use Harris, MWF and a few of my traditional favorites when the urges hits me but it won't be because lack of performance of the artisans.

fram773 likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As others have said, some good, some bad. To lump 'em all as bad is wrong.

Have you tried TSD soaps? A great soap, as is Sara's Creation, also available at TSD store.

Sara-s, dscaver, Bristle Me and 3 others like this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Stirling is by far my favorite soap thus far. Craftsman as well. I haven't found an issue with washing Stirling off nor lathering it (aside from the first time, a little info here helped).. I enjoy the unique side of artisan soaps. The small business support and the personal connection that is to be gained from loyal support. Artisan soaps are a dime a dozen, but there is so much more to buying artisan than there is to buying well known soaps.

BigMark, crackstar and fram773 like this.
  10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My favorite artisan is Mike's. There is always room for improvement, but he has been the most consistent out of all the artisans I have tried. And TSD isn't far behind either.

jeraldgordon, crackstar and fram773 like this.
  11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

So Kia and Hyundai are amateurs? :p

Just kiddin' !

I haven't got much experience with artisan soaps. TSD soaps: me like! Sara-S's: me like! So far my experience.

What I do like as well about artisan soaps is that they are made out of love for the product. Commercial soaps can be just that: commercial. All for the money, honey!
    :D

12. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

My favorite soaps are all artisan soaps. Performance-wise, nothing I've tried beats Barrister & Mann, LASS, or Dapper Dragon, and Stirling is close behind.

DR Harris and MWF are at the same level, but honestly I prefer B&M's scents.

I feel kind of the opposite: there are lots of great artisans right now, and many are underrated.

(Not to say there aren't stinkers out there, too, but that's the case with the big soap makers, too.)

crackstar, fram773 and macaronus like this.
  13. shmuel

shmuel Member

I can only add that when you factor price into the equation, the best artisans are a great value compared to, say, D.R. Harris, which I will continue to use , since the Arlington scent to me is intoxicating. Mike's performs as well at a much lower price point.

fram773 likes this.
  14. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Have you tried LASS? Based on what I've heard you say about your preferences, I think you may like it.

15. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

The only soaps on my counter right now are artisan - Barrister and Mann, Cold River Soap Works, Tiki, Strop Shoppe, Jabonman, and Mystic Water. All are super performers for me and are as good as, or better, than the "commercial" soaps. In my experience these are professional soap makers who turn out a quality product. I do have tubes Proraso Red and Blue creams and a tub of TOBS Avocado cream for use with my badgers. I also have a puck for Tabac and MWF for old times (some of the first acquired and great on both lather and scent).

As long as they are turning out good soaps, I will support them over the "commercial" vendors. Just my humble observation.:)

Ed

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I think the new Razorock soaps are made by artisans if I read correctly. Those soaps are really good.

I also really like Cold River a lot.

fram773, crackstar and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  17. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

haha fram is this directed at my updates thread?

To me, that's how a product becomes refined over time. Listening to every single one of your customers/testers input and comments, and tweaking it to meet their needs. also updating and discussing with full transparency. I can say that I've listened to every customer criticism, and have never left a dissatisfied customer.

show me a big soap co that can say that.

fram773 likes this.
  18. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Cold River Soap Works is the only one I've tried that I suppose one could call "artisan", and they were absolute quality IMO - as good as anything I've ever used. The scents were a little over the top for my tastes, but only in that they were just too strongly scented. Pleasant enough scents there (balanced or whatnot I suppose), just more of the scent than I would have chosen myself.

I haven't tried any of the other "artisan" soaps out there these days, and honestly I'm not likely to either. Bit of a disinterested consumer in that regard I suppose. :sleep025:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    fram773 likes this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

did the scent last too long
    or was it overpowering while using it

20. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Both. Usually with a soap I can simply wash away any excessive scent left behind, but the Bergamot & Bay in particular seemed to linger fairly undiluted. It's a pleasant enough scent, though I would have preferred about a 1/16th dose of it.