Woman new to DE & Straight-- Any Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by jilraf, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jilraf

jilraf Member

Hello,
    I would love any advice about how to get started as a woman using either DE or straight.

Would like to understand how the popular Gillette Ladies (various colors) star compares to other DEs and/ or to straight shaving particularly for women, dealing with underarms.
    (I've seen some posts saying Schick Krona is similar to Lady Gillette, and some (such as soapbuddy) who say it is more aggressive.)

Also, if I proceed as others suggest on this forum and buy a Gillette Ladies Star, is the best place to purchase on eBay, and if so any suggestions of what to look for besides in good working order?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

No, post a Want To Buy for one over here.
    I have rarely seen a Gillette Ladies in anything but like brand new condition.

3. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

E bay has been a hit or a miss for me. I would post a want ad in the Wanted section like JoAnna suggested.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

I have seen Lady Gillette's for super cheap in junk shops and super expensive on Ebay. The Pink and The Champagne are the hardest to find, followed by the Dark Blue. The Light Blue seems to be the easiest to find.

If you are after a long handle, twist to open razor for not too much money, put aside any hankerings for the Lady Gillette and grab the Schick Krona. Spend the money you saved on brushes, soaps and creams and smile because you are in for the best shaves of your life!

5. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Hello Jil! Welcome to the Den!

I have shaved with both, the Krona and the Lady Gillette Stars. I found the Krona to be quite mild and the shave very similar to the Weishi. I shave almost exclusively with the Lady Gillette, I will say though that I use quite a variety of blades that I have experimented with over the last year. With that experimentation, I have found what works for me.

Give them a go and see what works for you!

6. jilraf

jilraf Member

Have you compared the Krona to the Gillette? I am trying to understand better the difference in how they perform.

7. jilraf

jilraf Member

Sorry past question was directed at stingraysrock. Thanks for the advice Shawna. Of all the ones you have tried, would you say the Lady is the best to begin with?

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

9. Shawna

I actually started with the Weishi gunmetal, which we still have. Have you tried a shave yet with a double-edge?

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, fere shere Ya'll!

I have shaved with the Krona and Lady Gillette... for me, they are very similar. The Krona may be a bit milder, but the real question here is, do you want to have a great shave cheap, or do you want a great shave expensive!

Whatever gender a person may be, The Krona is under-rated for sure.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the cozy confines of The Shave Den.

Find a comfortable leather recliner and set a spell.

BTW, You are not the first lady who has an interest in the Krona. I think the reason is that it is easy to use, ultra reliable (both in mechanics and comfort) and it is available in large quantities.
    You can't go wrong having one in you kit, even if you move up to a different razor.

12. jilraf

jilraf Member

Will definitely get the blade sampler, just trying to figure out which razor to buy first...
    Babygirl- I have not yet tried a shave with a double-edge.

13. Queen of Blades

Do you have a brush yet?

14. Shawna

Jil let me send you a razor on loan to try before you buy. I'll also send you a small sample of blades. Message me your address and I'll try to work out the logistics since I'm out of town right now.

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Another one bites the dust. Now there is no turning back for you Jilraf. You have gone to the dark side :)

Way to go BabyGirl, have to love TSD. :love029:

16. jilraf

jilraf Member

Thanks so much Shawna, I appreciate your generous offer to loan. I will message you.
    JoAnna, I do not yet have a brush or other DE supplies such as cream.

17. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Well a brush and cream can be picked up at many local pharmacys or walmart or what not. They mostly have 12-25 dollar brushes and usually an assortment of creams.

That will help with the shave the most i beleive... well for me it did (as a man) haha. The brush and cream make the shave much better while the razor brings it to a whole new level. Just great

Good luck with getting your grear and such set up.

18. Queen of Blades

For me, the brush and cream/soap are more important than the razor and blades.

19. jilraf

jilraf Member

ok, makes sense.

Joanna: Of the two brushes (Kent BLK4 and Custom Knotty Badger in Best (a The Golden Nib knot)) that you said are your favorites, which do you recommend buying as a first brush? Also, why do you prefer Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado?

I have also seen recommendations for Kiss My Face Lavender shave cream, Toms of Maine shave cream, trumpers rose cream, Mama Bear's Hydrogen, TOBS Rose, Harris Rose, DR Harris Pink, Cremo Cream brushless.

20. Queen of Blades

My Kent BLK4 is my go-to brush. I use it nearly every shave.
    Second is my Omega 10048 boar brush.
    Third is my custom Knotty Badger. The knot is pretty dense. It is a thing of absolute beauty, but it hurts my arm to use.

For a starter I would recommend the Omega. The Kent is a bit pricy for a starter brush, when you don't really know what you like yet. And the Knotty Badger was a custom brush made by a fellow moderator, Rodd. He isn't making a lot of brushes now and days, though.

Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado contains avocado oil which is more moisturizing. Important when shaving legs, as legs don't have as many sebaceous glands as the rest of the body. Sebaceous glands are responsible for your body's natural ability to moisturize itself.

Those other products are nice, as are many others out there. But the moisturizing properties Taylors Avocado provides are important when shaving legs.