Wood handles

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PalmettoB, Jul 14, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

There's been some discussion lately about wood handled brushes. I guess I'm kinda wondering how y'all feel about them, what species or types you like, and if you've had any problems with them splitting, warping, rotting or discoloring...

I don't really want this to turn into a product-bashing thread, but simply to get some feedback as to your preferences and experiences.

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I only own one brush with a wood handle -- the SMF 1 brush, in Cocobolo. I've not noticed any damage to the handle at all, and I use it about every 3rd day. However, I must admit that my SMF 1 brush is the only brush I hang upside-down in a stand. My other brushes I stand on their base to dry.

No particular reason for the SMF 1 in a stand, unless it's an unconscious attempt to minimize risk of water damage to the GORGEOUS handle. :drool

I scored it in a trade, and it came with the stand... I've just always used it.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Does that handle have a water-proofing coating on it?

The two wooden brushes I have (tweezerman & BOCK), show degradation of the coating....and eventually it will all peel off.

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yep, it does have some sort of shiny/protective coating on the wood.

Here's a couple pics of the brush (not mine) so you can see the treatment of the wood.

Attached Files:

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes, very nice.

I saw (in person) an "Olive-wood" handled made by Muhle Pinsel, and it didn't seem to have any kind of coating. It was a beaut.

[​IMG]

I also saw one made out of real buffalo horn:

[​IMG]

This also, was not coated

6. Panamag8or

Panamag8or New Member

Good wooden handles aren't coated, they are rubbed with tung oil, or some other waterproofing oil. Also, having a brush turned from stabilized wood helps.

I've learned a bit about brushes, since I have a friend that will start turning handles for brushes I will sell.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

1) welcome to The Velva Den. Ahem! I mean welcome to The Shave Den ::

2) got any pics of those brushes? :drool

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Watch out for these guys.

3Velveteers.jpg

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have only one brush with a wooden handle. The SMFII in Olive. It looks beautiful......but I am afraid I have never used it. I am worried that I may damage the handle:o

10. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I have a couple of brushes with wooden handles: a Sabini with ebony handle and a Shavemaster with (I believe) mesquite. They seem to do okay so far.

In the guide I include this link to a discussion of wood-handled brushes. With care, I believe they do fine.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have a cheap Tweezerman and a Van de Hagen wooden handle brush. No problems so far. I dry them off pretty well after use.

12. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid New Member

I have a macassar ebony handled brush that I turned up. The finish should hold up really well (CA) once it's fully slow hardened. I plan on finishing all my brushes that way, as CA is a particularly good water, grease, oil, soap, and probably radioactive waste repellent finish.

My first brush was a tweezerman, and the finish went to hell pretty fast. It was probably a cheap acrylic finish of some kind.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :rofl

14. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Lignum-vitae

Hey fellas, this is an old thread, but I want to add something to it. I have used a few different woods so far making brush handles and other things. Nothing beats the performance of genuine Lignum-vitae.

This certain wood is naturally waterproof, is more dense than ANY other wood (which means it does not float), and is virtually impossible to damage through normal use!!

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page on Lignum-vitae. Read. Learn. Have a nice day.

Jason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

And it weighs about 8 pounds!! :D

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Jason,

It does sound like it would make a great material to make scales or a brush handle out of.....:happy005

Neale

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I make and use wood handled brushes. I have not had a problem. I sealed my first one with 8 coats of outdoor poly, and it seems to hold up very well, but the ones after that are all coated with a couple coats of clear epoxy. I think the shine it adds looks sharp, and it basically gives the brush a plastic shell, that should not be effected by water. I have been very happy with mine, and I think they look nice. I have turned them in Zebra, purple heart, walnut, old growth oak, and will be doing one in cocobolo soon.

18. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Rodd,

The neat thing about using LV is you do not have to seal it. The high content of natural oils makes it impervious to the harmful effects moisture usually poses with wood. The oils also make for a natural polish. All I usually do, after polishing the natural coating of the wood, is apply and buff a light coat of wax just to darken the finish and to add a little extra luster.