Woods of Windsor Shaving Soap in Mug

Discussion in 'Shaving Soap Reviews' started by DragonBoy, Apr 5, 2007.

1. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Im sorry to say that this is not a good soap. The scent is magnificent but thats about it..

It lathers very poorly and the watery foamy lather you get dissapears almost instantly. If your quick enough its usable but not if you want a good shave. But it is quite moisturizing.. A rather odd soap this one..

I have used it as a base for "Super Lather" together with a non-scented cream as I love the scent.

So save your money (its not cheap) and just buy the After Shave or Cologne instead.. The WoW soap is not worth it.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

excellent review, Thomas. Very informative.

Jeff

3. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I'll have to decent just a wee bit but mostly agree. WOW is not in the same league as D.R. Harris or Taylor of Old Bond St as a shaving soap when it comes to lather quality and making ease - both of which I use. But WOW shaving soap can provide a satisfying lather and shave but it takes more work to get there than the fore mentioned. The trick is to pre-soak the soap with a little hot water and use as little water as possible when building the lather. It produces a different lather quality than the tallow based soaps but it is effective if care is taken when building it.

As for the scent, I love WOW scent above all others.

Put the WOW scent in a DRH or TOBS soap and I'd be in heaven for sure.

4. herzi

herzi Active Member

Good soap

I love this soap. Creating lather is easy, it shaves well, my skin feels pleased and the scent is lovely. Everything I need from a good soap.

The pot is a little small but it feels good in my hands. And it looks GRREAT

5. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

followup- WOW shave soap A+

WOW was on the bench for a year while I used up my DR Harris Marlborough. After the DRH was gone I first tried my Taylor of Old Bond St herbal soap. I was getting a lot of razor chatter regardless of which razor I was using, 40's Merkur Slant and '47 Gillette Super Speed, or blades.

So out came the WOW soap and what a pleasant surprise. Wonderful thick lush lather and excellent lubricity and shave with refreshed skin afterwards. Apparently the year aging did something to the soap that removed all faults I found previously. WOW is definitely in the same class of DRH and TOBS. Since I love the WOW scent and the shave soap is now nothing short of excellent, I'm in shave soap nirvana. :D