Worked on this one today

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by JPJ, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

H.Boker & Co. "Good gold"

Ebay purchase.... Rough shape.... Learned a lot from this one .... Avoid rusty blades it takes hours on 80 grit buffer :)... Went 80, 120,180,240,400,600,green,white, mag and aluminum polish

Cleaned scales and re peened (is that a word? Peened) image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Repaired chips, honed on shapton pro 320 1k 2k 4k 8k 15k then chromium oxide strop then leather ... Arm shave test amazing...

Little scared to shave face with it since I have 3 straight shaves total under my belt.

Attached Files:

178-bplatoon and Uncle Brian like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's the same razor? Amazing.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Yeah, it was pitted bad but I just buffed and buffed and dipped blade in ice water and buffed and buffed ... And repeat ...

I will never buy a blade like that again... Lesson learned ... But came out pretty good ... Left some minor pitting on the "good gold" side to retain the etch ...

4. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

That's beautiful mate and way better than I expected when I saw the first photo. guess time and hard work do bring spectacular results after all :happy088:

5. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice job, looks awesome.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice retrieval! :happy088:
    Yeah, those rusted-up type of razors are best left for those who really, really wish to spend a near eternity—as you discovered—sanding away rust and gunk. Inevitably, there will be some metal damage (deep pitting) which aesthetically is no big deal. It only becomes an issue if it intrudes upon the blade edge. It tough to hone a good edge if there no solid metal to work with.

SRNewb likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

8. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

So went to shave today with this razor and there is a problem... I didn't notice it before but the top inch of the razor when looking from the spine leans to the right a small degree... A few cuts and I switched back to me gold dollar wet shaving set up and finished without issue...

But I'm bummed out ... Anyway to correct this ?

9. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

10. Wow! You did a great job - looks beautiful.