Worth the $$$????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert Voss, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

I was wondering with all the vintage "inexpensive" razors available, is there a noticeable difference between them and the high dollar brands? Can a thousand dollar razor shave better than a 40 dollar vintage that is honed properly? Will my facial hair notice the 960 dollar difference?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't think so. I have a new Dovo my wife bought for me a few Christmases back, and I have several blades I picked up at antique stores (not one of them over $25). Those were sent to Glen for honing. I can't tell the difference.

BigT and Robert Voss like this.
  3. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I have new and I have vintage. The only way I can pick a favorite is by the ease in which I can work it, the styling and balance in my hand. I get my best shaves from one makes me feel confident when I hold and use it, be it new or vintage.

BigT, Robert Voss and swarden43 like this.
  4. Tiddle

Tiddle Member

I have grown to prefer the vintage; pre 1950's blades. They just seem like the steel is denser and better made. This was a discussion on SRP at one point; and I believe it was Mike Blue who said that present day steel tends to have more "impurities" than the older stuff. Could be in my head, but I have had 3 new dovos and the vintages always felt more reliable as far as quality in the steel.

Robert Voss likes this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Custom craftsmanship, rarity and exotic materials will all add to the cost of a razor. If a person thinks it's worth it, I guess it is to him. If he thinks it shaves better I doubt anyone will change his mind. That said, you can get a really good shave for not a lot of coin. My favorite razor is not my most expensive. My favorite razor set me back $10 but I had make a set of scales for it so that would up the cost another $5 or so.

battle.munky, Hanzo, Raven312 and 6 others like this.
  6. Robert Voss

New or vintage, I would like to get my hands on one of those expensive 1,000+ dollar razors sometime and see for myself. Guess I will keep playing the lotto ;) Until then, I will keep using my whipped dog, ebay finds, and Dovo best and keep enjoying the close shaves I get with them.

7. Robert Voss

I also have a couple that I made scales for and use/enjoy regularly. Hard for me to decide on a favorite. I like different qualities of many of them. Kinda like guns. My favorite is the one in my hand when I need it.

Raven312, Sontag and oscar11 like this.
  8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Me too. It would be fun to shave with a unique one of a kind custom razor for a while. Of course, I'd want an alabaster sink with 24 karat gold hardware to go along with my ivory handled boar brush. Or this Plisson for over $1,000.
    [​IMG]
    Real Ivory (Exclusive Plisson)
    White high mountain Size 12
    Taxfree Price for out of European countries : 904,68 euros

1,082.00 €

Ryan B, PLANofMAN and Robert Voss like this.
  9. Robert Voss

I would think the quality controls and technology of today would produce a metal with less impurities.

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh it does, however the flipside to that, is the best steel is reserved for specific building projects, OR costs too much per unit to be useful by manufacturers for razors. The processes are indeed there, but not designed or well suited to the smaller scale markets.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I was looking at one of those on the weekend planning for my next tax return until my wife slapped me upside the head seeing the pricetag in euros LOL. Plus I'm not certain if customs recognizes the difference between Pre-Ban ivory and illicitly gained ivory, and would be supremely enraged by having a $1500 shaving brush seizedby someone who isn't inclined to care about the differences.

12. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Has anyone here ever used a white high mountain brush? Wondering what the hub hub is all about.

13. italianbreadman

italianbreadman New Member

So what razor is that and where can I get one?

Haha. I've been wondering the same as the OP. I want to try straight-razor shaving, but I really don't need to spend a ton of money, as DE shaving works just fine. So I'm curious to know if there are any "production" blades that are inexpensive, yet still of serviceable quality.

If there's nothing current like that, I suppose I'd just go vintage. I almost feel like it's a situation similar to axe heads - all the old steel is excellent, and the new stuff is more of a gamble.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. Robert Voss

My first 2 razors were a vintage from Whipped Dog and a new Dovo. I have several other vintage ones, none were much more than 20.00. They all shave great, which led me to ask the original question about the expensive ones. You can get into str8 with minimal investment, but of course unless you know how to hone one, make sure it is truly shave ready. Whipped Dog is probably the least expensive unless someone has one in the classifieds here or SRP.....I still want to shave with a $500.00 plus razor just to see though :)

15. newb

newb Resident Newb

Properly honed my vintage W&B's and vintage Boker's are in a league by them selves. Maybe a 500 dollar + custom razor will be awesome. But you can't beat BBS and my vintage Razors can deliver that. Good steel is good steel what ever the cost. I'm sticking to vintage.

emmijack likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The quick answer is a resounding "NO"!!! PreShave technique, the relationship of the safety razor,the blade,the soap/cream to your face will all make far more of a difference in your shave, than the "cost "of the individual products...With the "MOST" important thing I.M.O. being technique!!!:happy088: That said I wouldn't mind trying a $200 vintage Gillette "Toggle"....:)

17. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I would agree about the steel, I have two razors that I use on a regular basis , a Hamburg ring and a Gong, both are great shavers and I love using them, but I have a hankering for a Thiers Issard, Maybe Santa will be kind this Christmas!!

18. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

(Sorry this is so late.) I have two. I got them straight from China so they were very inexpensive, albeit a two-plus month wait... They feel great - they have backbone which reminds me of my boars (my favorite brushes), yet the tips - especially on my 26mm - are very soft, as if I've had it forever. It's really a cool sensation. Whether they're worth the prices I see people paying is a subjective thing. With my handles, I paid around $55 apiece, which gives me two custom brushes for the price many are paying for one "production" brush (so to speak). Over the next few months I'll determine whether I'm going to pare down to just these and my boars, as these break in.

Woodekt likes this.
  19. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Mainly a marketing thing from what I have heard...Really depends on where you get it. It could be all over the map in terms of quality. Mine has the softest tips of any brush I have used with decent backbone. Mine certainly does not have the backbone of the other 2-band brush I have, but that one is also more densely packed. If you do your research and find something that many others have given positive reviews for you will be safer than just finding a knot or brush labled HMW and giving it a try. I would advise caution and patience in your search. Here are a couple pictures of mine...
    JadeRV_HMW.jpg JadeRV_PostBloom.jpg

Woodekt likes this.
  20. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

I really looked at the WSP you have. Thats actually what started my thoughts on the White mountain. Saw it on Ebay for around $90 (amazon $110). I LOVE a brush with backbone. BUT with soft tips. i might start looking into the two bands. I also Love densely packed brushes as well, but not such a big knot that it spreads lather into your eyes when face lathering!:) Looking for a short handle too. Some of those chubbys are BIG$$$$$$$.

I probably bought silver tips from the same guy (mine were FSs). THRILLED with those brushes. Man they are so nice - and underrated. The two I have - one was $18.00 shipped, and the other was about $25.00. Those are some NICE knots. Never a hair lost. Both from China. Ill have to check the seller out again and see if he has a nice white mountain (like I need another brush). If they are gimmick, so be it. As long as it a nice soft knot. But then again, I really need to back off of the brush buying kick. Regardless, I enjoy rotating out my brushes. Ill eventually find a few perfect ones!

Thanks guys.