Wosty Wedge Project

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021: Kevin thank for sharing all the steps. Great work.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, twhite and 2 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This thread is a blast to follow. Thanks, Kevin.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, twhite and 2 others like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, fellas! :o
    I hope to get some more work done & progress photos taken this coming weekend & early next week.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This reminds me of auto body work and painting (auto restoration is my hobby). You've got to fill in those low spots or they'll show through the finish!

Kizurra, mrchick, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

... and its best to remove those low spots before adding more layers or the results will disappoint.

Kizurra, mrchick, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm excited to see how it turns out. I love the wosty's

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

@HolyRollah, (and maybe @Jayaruh ) in future, you might try some of this sanding cloth - http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sr81725/ (not necessarily that exact one, of course). I've found that when doing wood turning, it's exceptionally good to do the starting sanding while it's still on the lathe, and then when removed, the flexible "tape" works around curves really well. Much better than the sand"paper", even wet-dry.

It's not the be-all and end-all, as it only goes to 600 grit; it's just a really good and easy starting point. (especially when I know that whatever I'm sanding is going to gum up the sandpaper. I use a small amount, throw it away, and get a fresh piece)

The wood looks nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like when you're done.

(Take the cracked blade to a high end welding shop? It won't be perfect, but maybe usable again?)