Would like to improve technique

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Reformation Student, May 12, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I think I've about reached the end of my skill and knowledge in terms of stropping and honing. While satisfied mostly with the results, I'd like to go further and improve my technique as I'm sure there are better results to be had.

It would be beneficial to get together with someone who could critique my work and offer instruction but I don't believe there is anyone in the RI area available.

Could anyone offer other suggestions in lieu of a "personal trainer"?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Steve,

Come to Australia, bring the family, stay at our place - once you're here you'd pay for nothing! And we could have a two-week intensive straight razor workshop! We could see if we could tempt Peter down from his paradise to the city for a few nights! It'd be a blast!! :happy023

Yeah, alright - nice dream though. As a suggestion if you can't find anyone local, do you have access to skype or similar? I know a few fellows who've been able to get some fairly decent tips and improvements that way. Also, a guy over at SRP has been saying that he's going to make a 2 hour honing DVD at some point - I'll keep my eye out for that and let you know.

James.

3. Reformation Student

James,

Thanks for the offer! I would love to do that someday when I can afford to take a vacation out of country. The wife and kids would love Australia. I'd love it too but would be too paranoid to sleep. I'd always be on the look out for snakes and spiders and other venomous things :D

That video sounds good. Do give me a shout when it's ready. I don't have access to Skype or any thing like that. Never saw a need for it yet. Being that I'm a geek in training, maybe I should invest in it.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Dont waste the money on skype. Spend 20$ on a webcam (or most laptops come with them now) and you can use msn messenger to have a video chat for some free live video messaging for honing perfection.

5. Reformation Student

Good idea, JayKay. Thanks! The webcam I've actually been considering getting at some point due to some friends that moved away recently. Thought it might be a nice way for the kids to keep in touch with each other every once in a while (cheaper than the long distance phone call).

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Absolutely. As always, I stick with tiger direct or new egg when ordering computer related products (which ever is cheepest at the time). Generally shipping runs about 6-8$ so as usual, stock up while you can. Last time I checked tiger was having a run on flash memory (2g sticks = 10$). I've had some luck keeping in touch with friends from home with my laptop webcam. Its a nifty tool overall and microsoft messanger also allows you to have voice with the webcam. Good luck with the idea :D

7. Navaja

Navaja Member

Steve:
    Keep practicing and taking notes. Don't forget that every person will give you advice with different variables, razor blade, hones, etc.
    You have to develop the skills with the tools you have and your shaves will be the ones giving you the right feedback.
    You can't rely on the different sharpness tests because you may or may not be successfull with them, again many variables involved.
    The one good skill to acquire is how to use a microscope to analyze de edge, that way you can repeat results.
    Good luck

8. Reformation Student

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the advice.

I have found recently that I can get consistent, accurate feedback from both the thumb nail and thumb pad tests. As you correctly point out though, it is the shave that provides the feedback most accurately. However, I have now learned what a good edge is coming off my barber hone that I use for refreshing the edge as well as what a good edge should feel like that has just been stropped. When those tests provide the feedback I've become used to, I can tell what quality of shave I'll get with a high degree of accuracy.

I believe this would change from blade to blade so I think the tests only have value once you learn what feedback they give from a good shaving razor. Basically, the shave will calibrate the thumb tests and the thumb tests can then be used as a guide for honing and stropping.

This is my most recent experience from my practicing and I'm sure others won't agree but it's working well for me so far.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Quit using the thumb tests. Hone, strop and shave that is your real test. Just my .02 cents.

Raf

10. Reformation Student

I think I've agreed with the shave being the ultimate test. I just find the thumb tests to give me a good indication of if the razors ready for a shave. But even with that, if the shave isn't what I like, I redo the honing and/or the stropping based on that.

In essence, I'm just doing what the barbers used to do, nothing more than that. Some don't like it, I find it helps me.

11. bandit

bandit New Member

thanks for all these suggestions. i'm still trying to improve the skill at 42. lol :ashamed001

12. Reformation Student

Bandit,

The age doesn't matter. How long have you been straight razor shaving?