Would love to try a GEM G-Bar

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

:)Would love to try a GEM G-Bar razor.Whats the going rate for one?

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

$10-$20 is about right depending on condition. If you want to know how it shaves ask HANZO as he just got one:) (He seems to like it though)

As ive never tried one but they do look cool

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Like so many things on ebay the prices can very wildly!!! As of now on ebay there are three Gem G-Bars on ebay that I saw as of this morning. One is up for bid starting at $4.99. The other two are "buy it now priced" at $19.89 and $32.79. Of course you also have to figure in the shipping which is ranging between $1.95 and $5.85 between these three razors. I have a G-Bar and I do like the shave from it,I find it to be a mild razor, forgiving, but capable of BBS. That said my personal favorite SE is an EverReady 1928 "shovel head". As for the prices you need to ask alot of questions on razor condition and such from the seller. Patience helps, buying on ebay is "ALOT" like gambling you need to remember "there is always another game" and not buy the first razor you see. If you miss a razor there will always be another razor coming down the road....:happy088: I bought my razor around two years ago and I think I paid around $5.00 for it.
    Personally I wouldn't pay over $20 for one and I'd think $5-$15 would be fair. However like everything else in life "how much you want something really determines the price your willing to pay.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

One thing I've found on ebay is that it's often cheaper (per razor) to buy a lot of several razors that includes ones you'd like to try. $5 per razor is pretty realistic unless the lot contains some more desirable ones. I bought a lot of 8 razors that included a boxed Fatboy for $10 per razor. You could clean up the ones you don't want to keep and sell them individually to offset some costs and you might end up getting to keep the ones you wanted for free.

5. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Thanks for the info . I'll be patience and start looking around :)

6. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Looks like I got a fellow Shave Den member going to PIF me one with some blades for just cost of shpping!

srpavko, Leo K. and lradke like this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Good for you. I love my G bar. It is a great mild shaver. I only have one and could not part with it. To the anonymous member I would like to say. Good on you, Sir

Lothar101 likes this.
  8. xeno_basso

xeno_basso New Member

image.jpg
    Just don't be too hasty...near mint ones come up from time to time...less than $50 gets you a startling example. These were chromium plated and they shine BRIGHT!
    Be prepared for your other razors to look dull by comparison...I had to put mine away when not using it...

alpla444 likes this.
  9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

There's a mint one on craigslist near me for $75.

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Anything more than $15 is too much for that razor.

11. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Yeah I thought they were crazy

12. xeno_basso

xeno_basso New Member

+1

13. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Me too, so stop bidding against me!!! LOL! :p

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You can find them all over the place at flea markets, antique stores, junk stores, ebay, etsy...for dirt cheap.

Also, shaving forums' buy, sell and trade threads have plenty...if not on TSD, try badgerandblade or shavenook....or put up an ad in the WTB section here on TSD.

15. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

G Bar is such a great razor. For being as forgiving as it is, it shaves noticeably closer than most mild razors do. And it is one of the best looking razors ever made. I'd say $15. The price for these seems to be slowly creeping up.