Would you buy a Pils?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hodge, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive got the oppurtunity to pick up a Pils with a stand for about half what they sell for new. Its still alot of money considering the razor has gotten mixed reviews. Anyone wanna chime in?

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's one of those near-impossible questions to answer as it's so subjective how you feel about a razor. I have a 101NE (see unboxing photos here).
    I guess there are some things that are rather universally agreed upon though;
    - The manufacturing quality of the razor is just outstanding. It's big, it's heavy and it machined with an uncanny precision,
    - It's a relatively mild razor.

The highly subjective
    A lot of people like/love it but it appears that almost an equal amount of people, me included, do find it to be a bit too much on the mild side of things and even though I loved the looks and feel of the razor in my hand it never felt too special against my face.

I believe you may still be able to source a new Pils from Europe for around $175 shipped.

Billyfergie, Hodge and Slow Joe like this.
  3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I'm a big fan of the Pils. I love the weight of it, it's extremely heavy so it just falls down your face taking the stubble with it. Like Darkbulb said it's build is outstanding. The design is very different in the fact that it keeps the blade straight instead of bending it as other razors do.
    For me it works great with a variety of blades but with a Sputnik blade I get a smooth comfortable, effortless shave. Of course YMMV.
    As for being mild again YMMV. I thinks it's perfect. Then again I use my Slim on a 4 so that might give you some indication of what I consider mild.
    It is different from any other razor I have ever used, which is one of the reasons I enjoy using it so much.
    I hope this helps.

Billyfergie, Hodge and Darkbulb like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Half price sounds like a deal if you want a Pils. The Pils is reputed to be a very well built SS razor with stellar fit and finish. The problem with any safety razor is you never know how it's going to shave you until you actually use it. So the question is are you willing to gamble? I hear they give a mild shave which is attractive to me, but the industrial look of the razor and lack of knurling leave me cold and I much prefer a 3 piece over a two piece.
    Bottom line I'm always pro to increasing the collection.:) I have many razors, but use very few of them regularly and yet I find it hard to part with any of them.:happy102:

Billyfergie and Hodge like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I had read both of your older reviews while researching on the forum and think I'll get it. Of course I would like to get/try all the SS razors offered. I got outbid on a Goose, otherwise I wouldnt be looking at the Pils right now.

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

On the positive side - if @Hodge is able to score one at half price there is basically no downside as if he doesn't like it he could very likely just flip it for a small profit ;)

178-bplatoon and mrchick like this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Well I like my Futur and its industrial look, big head and smooth handle........

I just counted 31 razors in my den with 4 new ones waiting to arrive. I have only sold one razor (Ikon) ever.

Karl G likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

All I can say is go for it and enjoy it.:happy088:

Billyfergie likes this.