Would you keep your dad's razor? -Help identify this Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Willk, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi all,
    I found my dad's razor (he passed away 10 years ago). I think it's a basic razor as he wasn't into fancy things. I was thinking of keeping it and engraving his initials and the year the razor might have been made into the head of the razor. (I have my own fancy Edwin Jagger DE razor I use, but I still want to keep his for some reason). I'm guessing that the razor was made in the 1960s-1990s. I didn't clean up this razor yet, so it may look a bit grimy.

If anyone by chance knows what year this razor may have been made, please let me know.

Also, is it weird to keep your dad's razor (even if it is plain)?

Thanks,
    Will IMG_1221 (Large).JPG IMG_1222 (Large).JPG IMG_1223 (Large).JPG IMG_1224 (Large).JPG IMG_1225 (Large).JPG

jbund, jeraldgordon and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

It looks just like my feather popular, an inexpensive mild DE razor that holds the blade very precisely and gives a very smooth shave, but has a lot of plastic parts.

3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I'll have to let others identify your dad's razor, but is it weird? Heck no, I'm about to launch a search through some of my dad's things to try to find his. I would love to find it and have a keepsake, although I'm not sure he even kept his old DE. He switched to electric many years ago, made a switch at one point to using Bic single blade disposals, then it was back to an electric that he used until his death at 92 years old.

4. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

I'm in the same boat on the identity.. I have no clue.

As to the question of keeping it.. don't just keep it, treasure it. Pass it down at some point. An heirloom doesn't have to be worth a mint to be priceless.

macaronus, 178-bplatoon and BamaT like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It's a BEAUTIFUL thing to have and keep your fathers razor I.M.O. My father has been dead many many years now and I can only wish I had his razor. The razor looks like a Gillette knack to me. Give it a good cleaning(soak in hot water and Dawn detergent, scrub with soft toothbrush,spray with scrubbing bubbles). There should be a letter and a number on the underside of the blade pan. That will be the date code and will tell you the year and quarter of that year that the razor was made. Google "Gillette razor date codes" and you should find the info you need. Congratulations on your find and Good luck............:)

6. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

It looks like a Gillette Slim Taper but the twist ring is too small. Maybe someone that copied that model.

I would keep it. Wish I had one of my dads razors.

Scrubbing bubbles and a soft toothbush might clean it up quite a bit.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's a Gillette Slim Twist, made throughout the 1980s into the 1990s. Once you get it cleaned up and all of the soap scum off of the bottom, you should find a date code, a single letter on one side and a single number on the other side. Then you can look up the date code here to see what year it was made.

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I concur, keep it to remember your dad. I also agree that it could be a Gillette knack. Look on the underside of the head, there should be a letter and a number which would identify the year it came out. My dad has a Gillette Slim, I know for a fact I would keep it and pass it on. But also, the thing about those razors is that they were built to last. That is very rare in today's world where almost everything is disposable. Just my two cents.

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It looks like a Gillette Slim Twist (aka G2000 in some countries). It was the very first TTO I got from my grandfather years ago and was the only DE he ever used for more than a decade.

Edit - DOH, Jody beat me to it LOL

10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yup, as Jody says! I have a near mint one. Mild shaver, but very nice. About like a Tech.

Get out the scrubbing bubbles. And absolutely keep this razor! It is a cool link back to your Dad. :)

R33F likes this.
  11. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

While I cannot help identifying your razor, I can tell you cleaning up one of my dad's old razors & shaving with it is great experience. While they are not worth a great deal in monetary terms, they're great to use. I'm lucky to still have my dad alive & ring him and let him know how good the old razors are still.

12. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

+1

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

Yes definitely KEEP IT! I have my dad's and grandfather's old straight edge razors that I want to clean up but just having them is treasure.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

You're making me feel old here guys!! That would be my son's razor!

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, since others have identified the razor, I'll just echo - KEEP IT!

By the way, hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to check in for a chance to win some free stuff in the November Newbie Give-Away.

Mark1966 likes this.
  16. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

^^^^ What he said!

17. clk

clk Member

KEEP IT! KEEP IT! KEEP IT!

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Keep it, clean it, use it, enjoy it!

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup. I concur with the above: keep, clean, use, treasure it!

EDIT: oh, and welcome to The Shave Den! Happy shavings!

20. andrew m

andrew m Member

Treasure it