Would you keep your dad's razor? -Help identify this Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Willk, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi all,
    I cleaned the back of the razor and found "J" and "4", as well as "Gillette" and "England". (It was a lot of fun scraping the grime off the back, slowly revealing the secret codes). When I looked up the code, it came up as 1964! (older than I thought, but my dad was in England at that time, so it's certainly possible). However, the date code could also be 1980s. The date code website doesn't say whether it's a "knack" or "slim twist". But, when I google images for Gillette Knack, I see some images that are exactly the same:
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...uGNCdiAeasYCgDA&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1188&bih=630

Can anyone confirm whether this razor is indeed 1964 knack, or slim twist, or a 1980s model? I will say that the razor is very solid and nice to use.
    Also, would you guys get this razor engraved, or just clean it and leave it as it is? - I'm concerned that decades from now, who ever has it won't know it belonged to my dad's and the year it was made.

Thanks again for all your thoughts!
    Will

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

That is a treasure...I have a razor just like the first razor I ever saw my Pop shave with...But I wish I had his....:)
    I feel like I re-bond with him whenever I shave with a soap and brush...;)
    I believe this is correct....England-Slim-Twist.....U.S.-Knack

Latherman87 likes this.
  3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

It's your razor, do as you like with it. IMHO, I think leaving it as is would leave more to the imagination of a future owner. And it's also a good story for when you pass it on to your kids or teach them how to shave on it.

4. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi all,
    Just in case anyone is interested, I am attaching photos of the codes on the back of my razor. I have added a marked-up version to help point out where the letters are.
    Also, I took the razor to an engraver, and he recommended that I don't engrave the head because it is chrome plated, and it may chip if you try to engrave it. I didn't think they would chrome-plate a razor back in the 1960s, but maybe that was normal. Also, I'm going to guess that this is a 1964 razor, and not a 1980s razor (both have a "J" code), as my dad was in England in the early 1960s, and if it was the 1980s, he was in Canada, so it wouldn't say "England" on it. Also, to note, I did use this razor, and it is a very good design, and very tight still. I love products that are made to last!

Thanks, Will

Attached Files:

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Let that thing soak in Scrubbing Bubbles for about 10 minutes, hit it with a soft toothbrush, spray on more Scrubbing Bubbles for another 10 minute soak, more toothbrush, and you'll have yourself one sweet lookin' razor!

The Scrubbing Bubbles will do three things:
    A - Eat that soap scum right off
    2 - Disinfect
    Third - Leave a nice, sparkly shine

all without any damage to the razor what-so-ever.

6. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

If my dad had a razor I would have def kept it. If you hit it up with the scrubbing bubbles like Swarden43 suggested that sucker will look beautiful

7. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

+1 I have a razor from each of my Grandfathers and am SO proud to have them. One is a '67 Slim adjustable and the other is a '56 Blue-tip SS

8. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I'll say keep it!!

Or, maybe breath some new life into it and let BRW convert the handle to one of his Bull Mastiff's... Makes for an awesome razor!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

Always keep heirloom razors! Shave with it on his birthday, Father's Day or other special day.

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Bob, aka Cooncat Bob, aka Bob's Razor Works, passed away this past April so his handles are no longer available unless you find one for sell on any of the shaving forums or on an auction site.

11. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Holy smokes.... I am really sorry to hear this. I've been away from the forums for a while and obviously missed this. Glad to say I had the opportunities to work with him the times I did and I love his work.. But really sad to hear this Jody and thank you for sharing this news.

12. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi all,
    I tried cleaning and polishing my dad's razor, and what a huge improvement! I didn't have the tools to do an absolutely perfect job, but I think I got it in pretty decent shape. Here are some photos in case anyone's interested looking at before and after (see earlier posts for "before"). This 1964 Gillette Knack will definitely be kept by me and passed on to my son! Thanks for all your encouragement!
    Regards, Will

IMG_1453 (Copy).JPG IMG_1454 (Copy).JPG IMG_1449 (Copy).JPG IMG_1451 (Copy).JPG IMG_1452 (Copy).JPG IMG_1442 (Copy).JPG IMG_1443 (Copy).JPG IMG_1445 (Copy).JPG IMG_1446 (Copy).JPG IMG_1440 (Copy).JPG

Latherman87 likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy096:.........yeah Man!! You've turned the clock back on that one...and I bet, she's a sweet shaver aswell....Not to mention all the memories and vibes you can unlock by simply picking her up...;)

15. gms541

gms541 Member

Keep it, clean it up good, and use it. I kept my Dad's Schick G4 Injector, ( he passed away in 1973) and only thought about using it a couple of months ago. There was a blade in it and one Schick Platinum Plus blade in the cartridge. Not knowing how many shaves he had on the old blade, I put in the 39 yr. old 'new' blade. That sold me on injector razors. I use the G4 and a Schick Dial adjustable injector now most of the time. My Muhle R89 waits patiently meanwhile. I hope it doesn't bite me when I use it again.