Would you shave with this?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Nairb, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

OK, it's a set, and the razor, near as I can tell has never been used. No soap film anywhere.

I'm conflicted. I bought it because I have a thing for AutoStrop razors and this is an absolutely beautiful example IMO. Yet I know it was designed to be used. I also told myself when I started blade shaving that I wouldn't be a collector. But dang, it's so beautiful! Yes, it's gold plated. Yes, the strop is there and is cherry too. And I'm thinking it was made to shave with.

Near as I can figure it's a 1924 Model C Special Set. The case is imprinted with the Menominee (MI?) Herald-Leader newspaper. That is the original blade that was included in the set.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but the price isn't the issue, it's the razor and set itself. Since it's still virgin would you get soap residue on it? Would you put clothes on Venus or leave the statue naked?

FWIW, I have other nickle plated models of this razor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'd shave with it. It's no fun just looking at it. I have a nice minty Wilkinson Sword 7 day set. I debated whether to just display it, but in the end I honed up the blades and gave it a whirl. To me the joy in collecting is just not to look at it but to use and enjoy it.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Is it an investment for future funds? If not, use it!

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I'd have to give it ago:), very nice

5. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

It's very nice, but you are not 100% sure it's NOS and never used so IMHO you should use it. Some one who likes the Valets as much as you will know how to keep it clean and shiny

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I would, yes, but that's just me. If you're conflicted about it, you can always put off the decision until you're non-conflicted.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Yep, I'd use it at least a couple of times. Since you have others just like it there's no use making it your daily driver, but a couple of uses isn't going to hurt it's value.

I've also become a big fan of the VAS.

8. bc9

bc9 Member

I understand exactly what you are going through...about 2 months back I picked up an open comb Damaskeen set. I looked at it pretty quickly in the store & it was priced for about the going rate for a used Gem SE without a case. After getting it home, I realized it contained all the original blades, still wrapped & even with a magnifying glass I couldn't find any sign of it ever being used. I have only purchased razors to use, not to display or collect. Had I found any sign of it being used, even once, it would be in my rotation.

I just can't bring myself to use it, knowing it would never be "new" again...

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Totally agree. Invest or enjoy and once you decide don't look back.

10. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

Here's a method I've used to make these binary (yes/no) decisions. Just flip a coin.

The trick is, you don't have to do what the coin says. If it says shave with it and you disagree, you just discovered what you really wanted to do all along.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Decisions, decisions....

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

Go for it! It's been looked at enough, now give it a whirl!

13. troy

troy Member

I would give a try................it's not like it's going to be worth $$$ in a few years.

14. I am of the opinion that one should not have any "Den Queens". Use it or someone else will; why should you deny yourself the pleasure. Now, if it can compete with the $1.5 mil, Chinese rhino cups the guy had on Antique Roadshow; I would pass go, put it in a safe deposit box and collect the $$$. Use it, don't abuse it--Enjoy it, don't destroy it.

15. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

OK, it's decided. Yeah, it's not a $ issue. It'll never be worth a lot, and I won't abuse it, and who would I leave it to who would appreciate it? If someone wants it they can clean soap film off of it!

(No I wasn't asking for a list of folks to put into my will.) :)

newb and swarden43 like this.
  16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Nice VAS. Where's the best place to get blades for one? I've read that the Feather SE blades work, but I don't know where to order any.
    I have a nice VAS without strop/box. It takes the cutout blades.

17. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Some VAS take modified blades.

If yours requires the cutouts the Feathers will fit. I have at least 2 VAS (different blade holders) that require them.

I got mine from Razor Blades and More. They're a buck a blade, not cheap for 2 shaves compared to other blades, but the only game in town. That's why I try to use my VAS that take the modified blades. But my granddads VAS requires the Feathers, so I'm kind of stuck if I want to use his razor. It's better than just looking at it.