Wow!! Best shave in a very very long time.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fairlite, Dec 27, 2007.

1. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Hi All,

Sorry I couldn't update you sooner but the holiday's and all.

Here's my progress with wet shaving and a DE razor.

I took Mottern Man's advice and bought a Merkur Classic HD. It came with 5 Derby blades. Wow what a difference in the shave and so much easier for someone who is learning technique. I did not nik myself once, I did get a slight irritation in the same spot on my lower right jaw and neck as the last time when I used my Futur but it didn't bleed it just looked like a rash and went away in about a half hour. The size of the HD was just right for me to hold and learn how to move it about my face. This had to be the best shave I have ever had in a very long time. It may have been just been because of the Derby razor blades but I am not sure. I enjoyed the HD so much I don't know when I will try the Futur again with the Derby blades, eventually I know I will try it again and hopefully by then I can use it with better luck than the last time. I like the heft to it.

I am having trouble making a good lather though I just can't seem to get the right amount of water or cream. It is always too thick or to wet and soupy.

Also over the weekend I was telling my dad about switching to a DE razor. He kind of laughed and said "Oh an old prison razor." He went on about telling me how he used them when he was growing and that he thinks he still has a one his dad gave him. About an hour later he came back and gave me a Gillette DE, it was in almost perfect condition just minor minor surface scratches on the head. I was very happy and thanked him. I asked him why not use it yourself and he just said that his disposables are just easier for him and did want to go through the hassle of a DE. I just said OK and took my new prize. :)

So when I got home I did some looking and and could not find a date code on the razor but I kept looking online determined that with the fact of no date code and the notched bar in the center that it is probably a 1949 SuperSpeed.

So that is my past week or so with my DE shaving. Sorry for the LONG and probably boring to most story but I had to share.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays. :)

Pete

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :rofl You are in the Twilight Zone!

Your story isn't boring to most, at least not around here. ;)

Congrats on the great shave, and the new found razors!

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Great post.....thanks for sharing.

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Always good to get great results! Congrats! :D

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Long and boring? Dude, this is a shaving forum! And besides...

:rofl:rofl

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If you are right about that razor that your pop gave you, it is (in my humble opinion) one of the best razors ever made. Put down that HD and try that gem of a razor your got from your pop.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    HDs are very nice razors also, and I would suggest sticking with the HD while learning technique. Keep the variables at a minimum while learning.

Any advice Will gave is worth listening to.

8. KUJO

KUJO New Member

Sounds great fairlite...and the beautiful part is that even after doing it for years, it's still a blast each and every time.

Now what else in your life can you say that about?

9. Will

Will Nevermind

See what happens when you listen to me.

Glad to see your alive, the last guy I gave advice to did not fair as well.

10. Will

Will Nevermind

She is right.

Stick to what works for now, get the great shaves, then play with new razors, creams, etc. I will say that the Super Speed is also a fine, fine razor.

I do suggest trying out blades first. Use one for a week then switch (unless then blade dose not work for you.........toss it and try it later down the road).

11. Will

Will Nevermind

Oh yea, pay attention to your neck more. Use less pressure, fewer passes, and make sure you don't go against it. Should clear up the irritation.

12. razorthief

razorthief New Member