Wow! Merkur Progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by southernscribbler, Jan 8, 2010.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Received my Merkur Progress (A gift from my son) yesterday. What a fine razor! It has a heft to it that really surprised me. In comparison to my Parker22R I now see what quality truly is. As he and I were discussing yesterday, the only thing we think Merkur could do to improve this finely crafted instrument, is change that cheap looking plastic adjustment knob into either metal or wood. I know there are vendors that will do it.

Today was the first shave with it. On a 3 setting I got a BBS shave. After a few more times with it, I will experiment with the other 2 higher settings, just to see the difference. Tried to explain to the wife (she snickers at me and my son when we talk about shaving) that each razor wields differently from another, like an auto, each with their own personality.

Thanks again to my son for such a great gift!

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Cool gift

What a great son! (and a pretty good razor too!)

3. Yep, it's a great razor. That's a lovely gift from your son. Good for both of you!

I bought my brother a "Mergress' (Progress with Mer's modifications), and he loved it too. He initially wanted a FatBoy, but I wanted him to try this, and now he loves it.

I've tried the Futur and Vision, and for me they don't shave as well as the Progress. YMMV, of course.

Enjoy your razor!

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Cool Dad. I'm glad you like it and glad you didn't just set it to 5 and let it rip. Sounds like it is going to be a fine razor. :happy023

5. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

I bought myself a Progress for Christmas, and I've been enjoying it since.
    The original plan was to send it to Mer for conversion. That will happen at some point in the future, but i just don't wanna' part with it yet!

6. riffin

riffin Active Member

Trim down a Feather AC Pro blade and use it in your Progress for a truly amazing shave!

The AC blades are narrow single edge blades for the Feather AC open razor. I rest the back edge against the post on the cap, put it in the razor and tighten it down. I only used one blade, leaving the other side empty. After tightening it down, I turn it up to 5 then keep going around to 1 again, aka 5+1.

The amount of edge exposure is much less than a DE blade, but the ACs are sharper and thicker. The shave I get (and YMMV) is not only the smoothest, but also the safest and least irritating.

Also you can get replacement knobs from Bob (cooncatbob) here at TSD. He does amazing work! AND you don't need to send him your razor!

7. magic

magic New Member

Very nice gift. I wonder if a single edge Gem blade would fit?

8. southernscribbler

Still learning my new Progress. Today is day four. I took it up to a 4 setting for the WTG pass, then to a 2 setting for the last two passes. I need to stop being such a wimp and just give it a try on 5 for all three. Tomorrow is that day. Been having BBS shaves, except today having one small spot on the jaw line that didn't cooperate. I'm thinking that I was more concerned with using a tad bit more pressure on the 2 setting and trying not to get any weepers by using too much pressure, instead of leaving it on 4 and using my regular technique of no pressure. Live and learn.

9. southernscribbler

Past 2 days have used it wide open on a 5 setting. No problems and an amazing shave. I think it shaves too well, because the last 2 days when I get ready to shave, my stubble is a lot less than it used to be. Make any sense?

10. rainman

rainman New Member

The 5 setting is too mild for me. I use it on 12 to get a good one pass shave.

11. Rookie

Rookie New Member

Looks like I need to purchase a Progress.

12. southernscribbler

some may argue, but I think it's an absolute top notch razor.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sure does. My Futur has the same effect. Glad to hear the Progress is working out so well for you!

14. southernscribbler

Now that I am accustomed to the feel of this razor and how to handle it on different settings (usually on 5), NOW I'm running into a challenge on another sort. Blades. I've been using Dorcos with my Parker22R and they worked great. Not so great in the Progress. I'm using the American personna right now and so far, so good but it's only day 3 and I'm beginning to feel a slight tugging. I know, I know, only 15 cents a blade, change it. Guess I need to splurge and get a sampler and try them all to find that perfect one. Man, what a process. Razors can be more or as confusing as a good woman! lol

15. marc

marc New Member

Eric Meirer's "Mergress"

I am fairly new to wet shaving and have the answer to the real problem with the Progress duly noted: parting with the razor while Eric Meier, designer of the modifications that change the razor into the "Mergress," does his thing. My solution: (1) already have, and have used, two identical razors for a few months when you first read about Mr. Meier and the Mergress on the web. (2) Mail one to him for modification. (3) When he sends it back to you, mail him the other one for modification.

I just received the second one back. The first has blue dots, the second red dots. These razors look and feel and perform beautifully. (The better weight distribution improves the shave.)

Though burdened as I was not, you should, nevertheless, endure the interregnum. The wait is worth it, I'm telling you.

You just have to be brave while the razor is with the post office or with Mr. Meier.

16. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I struggled with the price increase that the Progress would be over the 34C, then found one priced a bit lower than others online (and with free shipping) so that settled it for me. I have had it a week now and I couldn't be happier — still on its 1st blade, a Merkur.

I have been shaving at a 1.5 setting all week, which is much lower than what others in the thread are using. True, I have to go through 3 passes below the jawbone and on the neck before I get most of the stubble removed, but I would be interested in hearing from other users what I might expect from a much higher setting. My skin is pretty average, meaning it's not particularly susceptible to cuts etc.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I shave on a 4 with no problems. You could always try it and if it got too wild you could always dial it back.