WWII Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hairy Alaskan, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I took this photo at the WWII Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana last week. I found it interesting that they are showing a Gillette New as a typical razor assigned to the GIs. I don't know if this is entirely accurate, though I'm sure many folks here will know better than I.
    [​IMG]
    If any of you get the chance to go the New Orleans WWII Museum, I highly recommend it. It is pretty impressive and a good way to spend a day. They've added two more building since I was previously there 10 years ago and are planning to open another building next year. One of the new buildings has a B-17 and a B-24 hanging from the ceiling in addition to a few fighter planes. It is pretty awesome.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very early on in the war Gillette was providing civilian style razors to the U.S. military until the demand for metal caused Gillette to produce the military grade "Contract Techs" that were provided to the U.S.G. for the majority of the war effort. In addition some men took their personal razors to the theater of combat which would account for the NEW in the photo. This display could have been more accurate with one of these ...

[​IMG]

BigMark, RaZorBurn123, SRNewb and 5 others like this.
  3. Hairy Alaskan

Cool.
    Thanks for the info.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Or this razor that was given to me by my neighbor who collects military uniforms.

WP_20141105_002.jpg

WP_20141105_006.jpg

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think having a Gillette New there is fine. It's a representation of the type of gear someone would've had, I don't see why someone wouldn't take their razor from home with them. If I was suddenly drafted there'd be a Merkur there in all likelihood, and maybe a Gillette Fat Handle Tech.

What has me wondering about that display is the box of blades. Did GEM make double edge blades? I'd think that's a box of single edges.

7. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I am lucky enough to own both the Gillette tech contract grade and the Simplex 7 as pictured above. Both are great razors, But the tech contract grade does seem to be a better razor overall.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It says GEM Double Edge.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Thanks, I couldn't see the words in the pic!

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I remember seeing some pictures of GEM Double Edge razor blades before. I thought that was odd.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  11. Hairy Alaskan

Unfortunately there is no brush though I've seen shaving brushes in Army rifle cleaning kits. I don't know if this would have been standard in WWII or not.

12. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

To me, all military razors are interesting. From WW1 and up. :happy088:

13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Those blades are not the correct blades. Those are double edeged micromatic blades not DE blades. They are dual edge blades but manufactured for SE razors.

Rapidray and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

I knew there was something up with that!

BigMark likes this.
  15. BigMark

Methinks that this would be more suited for Marines and Sailors. Something with metal corroding quickly in a salt water environment.

16. BigMark

Micromatic razors to be exact.

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Could be. My friend (the military collector) said this kit was for GI's in the Pacific theater due to the moisture. I haven't found any historical info.