Y'all doin okay?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tootall1121a, Sep 26, 2018.

1. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

I haven't been around in a while, just thought I'd pop in and see how everyone is doing. I haven't found any vintage razors lately, they're getting a bit scarce around here.

Paul76, cliffb599 and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Paul76 and wristwatchb like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

What are you using currently? I am currently using a Mongoose Single Edge razor loaded with a Feather Super Professional blade. Here are most of my other razors:

Razors1.jpg Razors2.jpg

Paul76, MacDaDad, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

Nice collection Charlie. I don't actually shave any more. I find them, clean them, and then usually resell them. When I did shave, I used a fatboy for the most part.

Jayaruh, I love to find them all messy with soap scum and beard particles on them. They look nasty, so the price is usually low, but clean up easy, the soap scum actually protects the metal from scratches and other damage, and it cleans up fairly easily. I generally use something like a toothbrush as well, but it's made for the job. On brass ones, I put them in a pan of 50 percent water, 50 percent vinegar and heat them to just below a boil. This takes off or loosens the black oxidation that will form on brass. From there it's six aught super fine steel wool, if required, and then a polish called Simichrome. You use a pinhead size dot of it usually, to make them shinier and smother than new. That's the part of it I enjoy, taking ones that look like hell and making them beautiful again. I sell them just to help out around here, and give me funds to buy more when I can find them. I don't enjoy the selling part much, but I must move them on, they're no good to me, as I actually don't shave these days. I am old, there's no one to impress, so I don't go through the bother. My fave when I did shave was a Fatboy made in the same year I was born.

stuartganis, wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Honestly, no. This is the crappiest week I've had in a long time.

6. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

Not a great week for me either so far, not the worst I've had though. My current wife is in ICU. My worst was when my first wife died.

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Hey Tootall, sorry to hear about your wife, hope everything works out for you. Also you are not old, got 14 years on you, not in the best of health but I keep pushing, 45 years + of long haul trucking can take a toll on the body. If you want, keep in touch, one young guy to another.
    Take care.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

8. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

Thanks. She is much better today, in fact they may kick her loose tomorrow, depending on the results of more tests. She used to be a long haul trucker herself, at one time anyway. She co-drove with her then husband. I used to do some short hauling, but never the long hauls. Mostly, I worked construction in the summers, whatever I could get in the winters, so I've done a lot of things. If you'd like to stay in direct touch, you or anyone else in here can use tootall1121@yahoo.com Over the years, I've learned to do many things ... be it the right way or the MacGyver way. I only do small stuff these days, but could probably build, wire, and plumb a house or even a commercial building if my physical abilities weren't so limited. I'm no expert on razors or a number of other things, but always know where to look or who to ask.

brit likes this.