YAQI KNots

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    What is everyone's experience of Yaqi and what is their best knot (synth)

RyX likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I recently saw a video or two on youtube, and then on Instagram. While I think they make a great brush for the price, why would I pay more for it?
    Straight from the person that runs the Yaqi Instagram page stated it was a better quality brush and had better performance than the 10 dollar synthetic brush I bought at Sallys beauty supply.
    It may, or may not, but my suspensions are this, They are a good brush, they are a value packed option, and they do have some awesome designs. But is it better than the 10 buck synthetic from Sallys, I highly doubt it.
    I think they are slick at marketing, and that is their job, to sell brushes, and they do a good job of that. I think once this fad is over, the industry will move to a new manufacturer and the hype and craze will begin all over again.

If you want one, thats great, they are good brushes, are they significantly better than the cheaper ones? No, just better marketed and hyped.
    I know that didnt exactly answer your question, and im not dismissing what you are saying, Im just offering my 2 cents worth.

I will buy one, I mean, after all who doesnt need another brush? But I wont stop using my cheap green handle VDH boar just because I have a Yaqi.

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm going to make an assumption Steve. The two knots from APShaveCo I enjoy may be from Yaqi. If that's true then I enjoy both a Tuxedo and a Cashmere knot. Not sure I could tell them apart in a blind lather application test. Both make excellent lather with ease and dry fast like most synths do. The thing that impressed me was how soft the fibers feel. When applying lather I don't feel the brush, just the soap.

Since getting mine, there have been several new styles offered. Super chubby 30mm+ sizes & flat top knots make me want more!

4. ordinaryshaver

Im not saying they arent good, or that they are over rated. Im just saying they are the lastest fad. (not that that is a bad thing!) Again, if you want one, awesome! But lets not pretend that they offer any better performance for the price than a lower priced brush. It is a simple case of diminishing returns. At some point, you are not going to get as much return on the investment after you plateau on price. Mostly the same with everything else.

I do have to admit however the tuxedo knot does look AMAZING!!!!

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Up side to the knots is they are low priced and high quality. Never drop a bristle, available in a variety of sizes and colors, and now in bulb and fan shapes.

Being budget minded if I was shopping boar knots I'd buy a new Omega brush and harvest the knot. Those guys put the quality in the working end and don't make especially fancy handles at the low price point end of their line. Badger knots is a whole 'nother matter. I wasn't impressed with my first couple of (Vulfix) badgers, but have tried some better brushes and can now see the difference a couple bucks makes. I have no plans to invest in a $200+ one of a kind designer handle and "hand tied" knot of mystical unicorn badger fur. Getting a knot that's dense enough to not be floppy is important.

Keep in mind I'm still going on the assumption APShaveCo sourced theirs from Yaqi. If I was going to produce a batch of brushes with the knots installed Yaqi is a Feature, not a Bug. Good quality at a bargain price.

6. ordinaryshaver

Please don't confuse what I am saying. I think Yaqi brushes are a great value, and offer performance that outpaces their price. They are a good brush.
    What I am saying however is, can I get a synthetic brush that costs less, and still performs the job on par with the Yaqi brand.
    I think they are the next big "IN" thing in the community. Not that it is wrong or right, just how it is. After this fad is over something else will come along. Then that will be the newest and lastest which bang invention to hit the market.

Should you buy a Yaqi brush, sure. Nothing inherently wrong with them, and they look cool! But if you don't have one, your not missing out on enything, either.

CastleShave and RyX like this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The Yaqi brushes that I have, have been excellent for their prices. I don't have any experience with Sally's brushes, but I suspect that the material used in Yaqi are definitely better quality in both fiber and handle.

Below are the three that I have ordered. Other synthetics that I have range from the Razorock to Maggard's. Fiber wise; The Tuxedo is about the same as any other synth, soft w/plenty of backbone and good water retention. The Timberwolf was super soft, did not hold water as well and had less backbone. The Arctic was super soft, had the backbone and held plenty of water.

The biggest difference is that I think they are continuing to refine their fibers based on feedback from major retailers. I think that they are the manufacturer for some of those major retailers. Comparable brushes from and branded to said retailers are actually more expensive. So I do think it is worth it to get them directly from Yaqi.

They are beautiful brushes and they do preform as well or better than expected. The pictures really don't do them justice. I don't think this is a 'phase', it is supply and demand working at it's finest.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You can get such better pricing and even quality from local(ish) online vendors.

CastleShave likes this.
  9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

The price point is totally insane. But ive got 2 and both shed. Ive never had that happen with any other vendor. Also im not willing to buy from aliexpress so i miss out on some of the many models and low prices

CastleShave likes this.
  10. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

What do you mean insane? What two knots are you talking about, and where did you get them from?

CastleShave likes this.
  11. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Purchase from wcs and anazon. mysterious space or whatever its called and the moca handle Insane meaning they are cheap.

CastleShave and RyX like this.
  12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I don't have any expreience with their synthetics. I had a 24mm 2 band badger from Yaqi as my first badger after starting on the el-cheapo el perfecto badger from amazon. The Yaqi was fine, it bloomed incredibly large! It wasn't until I got nicer badgers did I give my Yaqi to one of my sons.

CastleShave likes this.