Yardley Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Jun 30, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just ordered some vintage Yardley shave soap. It's used and contains what looks like a large portion of the original soap, in the Wood bowl. The bowl still has the label on it, and the wood looks in good condition. I don't know if it is worth $15, but I shall see. When I receive it I will scrub off the top layer, because, well, it was just someone else's soap first.

Do many of you use the vintage Yardley? Any opinions on it?

#####Fast forward to post 17, interesting update######
    -------

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Asking opinions after you buy? Hmmm....

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Vintage Yardley bowls were going for over $100 a while back on the bay, so $15 is not bad. I have both the black & white label, and the green label, and the shave stick. The stick made a great lather, but was less impressed with the green, but it is still a cool classic product and it looks cool in the den.

4. DaltonGang

A roll of the dice.
    I heard, a long while back, it was good soap and hard to find. I don't recall it being talked about around here.

Well, the one I ordered definitely is the green labeled one. What scent is it? From what I remember it might have been lavender.
    What was the scent for the black/white labeled one?

AGHisBBS and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The B&W one has no scent left which tends to happen with vintage soaps. You are right about the green, it was Lavender, but none of the ones I have still have scent. Although I have heard of people finding vintage soaps that do still have scent to them, so its a gamble.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

well, yes and no(I suppose more on the no). As a kid I used what I figured was vintage Yardley "Soap-on-a-rope". I was so excited by the fragrance I used it also for my underarms, but it probably wasn't meant for THAT.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

I figured it could use a good cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I had a tube of Yardley gold. I got from the traveling box. It made great lather with a mild rose scent. I put it bsck in the traveling box, the next yime it came. I'm not sure of the new stuff, the the gold tube was very nice.

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

is rose the chief Yardley scent?

10. DaltonGang

The Yardley Gold cream, in the tube, is a current India production. It should be slightly sandalwood scented. At least the aftershave is, and from what I remember my tube stuff is.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes sorta sandalwood with a light rose

crackstar and Paul Turner like this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Never tried that soap! (but it does sound nice!)

13. DaltonGang

I tried the vintage Yardley Soap, and now I know what the fuss is about.
    Rundown:
    I used a Zenith boar brush. The soap loaded easily on the brush. When I face lathered it exploded with thick creamy, and I mean very creamy, lather. Very little effort was needed to make the lather. I would say easier to make than Arko. The lather had a faint sweet, almost vanilla scent left, that was pleasant. I found the lather very slick. To test it, I took my first get, and swiped the lather off my cheek, rinsed my finger, and gave the area another swipe. It was still very slick. I had already shaved earlier that day, so I just tested it on the face, then rinsed it off. After the rinse off, the face did seem dried out, like soap usually does to me.
    Conclusion:
    Well worth trying and buying. My only regret is that it is no longer produced. This soap is easily one of the best, if not best shave soaps I have tried. I don't know how it was produced, or what ingredients they used, but the shaving world would benefit from someone duplicating this soap.

14. DaltonGang

Is there any idea how old this soap is??

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I guess I need to go back to the store I was in yesterday. They have two sealed bowls in original factory packaging. One green and one white package. They are asking $32 each.

16. DaltonGang

From what I have seen, that's not a bad price. You might offer $40 for the both, and see what he says.
    Now, where did you say this store was? :cool:

mrchick likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

#######Ok, I'm changing directions#######
    I have used modern production Yardley bath soap(bar soap), English lavender made in London. My wife and I picked some up, while on vacation a couple of months ago, and we both love it. It has a rich lather, and mild scent, without drying the skin out. After finishing it up, we looked for more. We found out its sold at many local drug stores and grocery stores. I was able to buy many on sale yesterday for .75¢ a bar.
    Since Yardley doesn't make shave soap anymore, I looked on their site, and read up on their bar soaps. One thing they say is that it can be used to shave with.
    So, I used a badger brush, and loaded the brush up with the Modern Yardley English Lavender bar soap. It loaded easily, like the Vintage stuff. I then lathered my Palm well. I was Extremely surprised. It was super slick, nice looking lather, lathered easily, and had a faint smell of Lavender. After I rinsed it off, my hand wasn't feeling dried out. Winner Winner!!!!
    Now, let's see if I can melt it into a shave soap container.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Jorvaljr and barbersurgeon like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I see yardly soaps at a dollar store here. I may pick some up. I would like to hear how it does with a shave.

barbersurgeon and DaltonGang like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Great, I was at Wal-Mart this morning, and they have it regularly priced at .95¢ for 4.25 ounces. Also, it's tallow based soap.

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

What local stores do you find it?