Yeah, so I am hooked. SR shaving has cleared up my face.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by AZWhiskers, Apr 3, 2016.

1. AZWhiskers

AZWhiskers Active Member

Been shaving with a straight razor every day for a bit and do not see a reason to go back; I really enjoy the shave. I have 3 razors so far, the Dovo 5/8, Feather Artist Club, and now a Dovo Shavette. The Dovo 5/8 is a ton of fun. I can hear it shave and I enjoy the stropping. It is a skill sport like billiards. The Feather is a great razor, and it shaves so easy it is like a safety razor, except that it will cut the crap out of you. Have not really played with the Dove Shavette yet. What I have noticed is that my skin has totally cleared up. I have had acne on my cheeks and chin for my whole life but it has cleared up 90% since switching to a SR and some with a safety. I am not sure if it is the soap and post shave balm or the razor, but I am amazed and how clear my face is now. So far I have only used soap from classic shaving, going to try Dr. Jon's soap next. I want soap without titanium dioxide in it. I use a Nivea post shave balm because it was easy to get and my chin was a little raw. Any all natural soap or post shave balm recommendations are welcome.

ninjack, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you are having positive results with your gear. Not only fun, but beneficial, too.
    I have used several products that aren't traditional aftershave liquids.
    Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic is a liquid balm. Alcohol free, ph balanced, with aloe vera & chamomile. It's a light citrus scent that goes on smooth and dries clean.
    Clinique Post Shave Healer in more of a lotion. Allergy tested & fragrance free, another aloe product that gives a nice finish. It's not cheap, but I received it as a PIF.
    Cremo Moisturizer gives a good face feel for post shave irritation. A light lotion with anti-inflammatory properties. My newest product, but I've found it to feel good all day. I found mine in the bargain bin at Krogers.
    RazoRock Aftershave Wax surprised me in how well it smooths razor burned skin. During cold weather months I found it gives good protection from dry skin. When I reach the bottom of the tub, I'll try another scent.
    Hope my reviews help. Ask questions if I was vague.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I could not shave more than a few times a week before I went back to straights. I would not say I had problem skin but certainly sensitive skin, and those issues are not what they used to be. I think I take better care of my skin simply by having a regular routine and moisturizing probably has something to do with it, but the quality of the shave I think has the biggest impact.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's not an all natural soap, but it is an all natural shave cream, Kiss my Face 4 in 1 moisture shave.

It can be found in Whole Foods and other natural food stores. Also tends to show up occasionally in upscale markets like Fred Meyers on the West Coast. I've also found it in odd locations...at a no name grocery store at Government Camp, halfway up the side of Mt. Hood, miles from civilization. It's cheap, natural, awesomely scented (or unscented) if that is your choice, and very affordable. Typically about $8 for an 11oz. pump bottle.

5. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Wet shaving made a huge difference for my acne as well. Another tip would be using an Alum block in your shave routine.

ninjack likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wet shaving made a huge improvement for me. I recently saw an ex whom I had not seen in 10 years. She was amazed how much better my skin looked.

I started with DEs and now do a lot straight razor shaves too. The redness and acne I used to experience has improved by more than 90% since I started wetshaving and using a DE.

I think it is a combination of things, clearly the better prep, better shaving cream, better post shaving skin and the move away from multi blade cartridge systems. They multi bade cartridges gave me so much irritation and ingrown it was a nightmare.

I used to think I had a tough beard and sensitive skin, but now I have a semi-tough beard and normal skin.

AZWhiskers and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011:
    I only have sensitive skin when I try to shave ATG. I'd wager that 90% of men who think they have sensitive skin, wouldn't if they switched to a single blade shaving system.

MattCB, ninjack and Keithmax like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since I started SR shaving, the sky seems bluer, food tastes better, women find me all the more irresistible, my car gets better gas mileage, and the neighbor's dog no longer poops in our yard.

...oh, and I no longer get skin rash, post-shave!

All True!.....
    Well, except for the part about the neighbor's dog. The little bugger has turned my front yard into a veritable minefield!
    :p:D

AZWhiskers, Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097: