Yeah Yeah...Prep...blah blah

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by IsaacRN, Jan 7, 2009.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well I just wanted to share a great shave I had today. I know a great deal of people use a shower as a prep for shaving and that is what I usually do as well.

Today was different in a sense. I went into the shower...and while I was letting the shampoo sit in my hair a bit..I decided to lather up in the shower. I created a good lather and let the brew sit on my face while i finished in the shower. When I was all done, I made sure not to dry my face, but proceed to go about my shave routine.

I face lathered for a good 2-3 minutes and proceeded to shave afterwards. Let me tell you that I almost didnt need a second pass. I was really shocked how much the lathering in the shower provided in my pleasant experience.

Im sure that I couldve done the prelather slag...while prepping..and a hot towel, but I thought this would save some time and not waste a towel so to speak.

Now Im not someone that can usually shave every day due to sensitivity issues, but im gonna give this a go in a day since I shaved so late today.

Sometimes just showering isnt prep enough and wanted to just share this with some stubborn people like myself that have been doing this for awhile.

2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Interesting idea....something to think about...a few questions...

The shower lather - did you make it in a bowl, then scrap it after you applied it?

Did you use the same soap/cream for your shave that you used for the shower?

If you scrapped the first lather, did you completely rinse out your brush, then go on as if you had never lathered in the shower?

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I face lathered with the same soap i was going to use for the shave. I did rinse the brush out and resoak it in warm water while i finished the shower. Then i proceeded to facial lather for the shave for a good 2-3 minutes.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy088

Thank you...looks like I have something new to try tomorrow! :D

5. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I shave and shower in 2 different bathrooms on 2 different floors of the house. I shower and dry off, even the face. Then in the basement I do a hot rag for a minute or so. Luckily I dont have coarse hair. I might try lathering in the shower but like I said, i dry off, get dressed then go shave.

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I don't know if I'd waste the lather then...if you dry your face off....do you put anything under the hot rag? Maybe try it then..

7. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I'm not throwing rocks here, because my wife says I'm a strange duck when it comes to my shaving, but why move from one bathroom to another...

And I'm just being curious here, not judgemental...

Enjoy your shave... :D

v/r

Oscar...

8. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Yup!

9. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I sometimes lather properly with a brush before showering, but more often I have a tube of Creamo cream in the shower and smear some of that on as soon as I get in the shower, some of it does rinse away during the shower, but it does seem to help with the shave.

10. I got into a discussion with someone about pre-shave oil yesterday (I'm an advocate), and it got me thinking about applying my pre-shave oil while I was still in the shower so that it could really soak into my beard.

I might have to try that today.

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Tried the shower lather today. I know, it wasn't quite "tomorrow," but close enough. I'm not sure how much it helped.

The first thing I realized was that I use the Oil Cleansing Method, and let the oil soak in throughout the shower. I didn't want to do that, then lather after and just stand there with the lather on doing nothing, wasting all that water. So I changed my shower routine around a bit. The OCM oil obviously didn't sit as long on my face as normal. I don't necessarily think that's an issue.

The lather seemed a bit thin, more like the pre-lather I normally do. However that was totally user error; I didn't shake enough water out of the brush. I think this just basically moved the pre-lather step into the shower, instead of at the sink, I think. I do think that being in the shower, though, allows it to sit on my beard longer than it does at the sink. Also note, I didn't do the pre-lather at the sink - I skipped this step.

I'm not sure how practical this will be for me, especially if I decide on a cream for the day. I really don't want to be mixing up two separate bowls of lather. I do have some Aveda latherless shave cream I could try, along the lines of what Bong's talking about with the Creamo.

We'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I preformed my method again today and was quite pleased. 12hrs later and my face is still BBS....