Yet another ebay rant..

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wchnu, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

At least this is how I think it works, I really need offshot to chime in on this since he has more huuto experience... :D

2. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I don't know why they aren't doing it now - I think I would like it. I'm not sure the buyer wins though - wouldn't those who used to snipe still bid or do you think they would just quit ebay?

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I've wondered about that. I think some would leave as the thrill of the kill would be gone, but if they want the razors or whatever they'd have to compete.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Where would they go?

5. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Good grief. You usually have seven days to put your bid in. Some auctions are more and some are less. If you have waited until the last 2 or 3 minutes of an auction to bid and then get into a bidding war, be prepared to accept the consequences. That is the honorable thing to do.

6. hoglahoo

I guess they would go play laser tag and sit in a dark corner waiting for others to run by so they could snipe them and relive that thrill of the kill

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

[​IMG]

8. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Because it's a dumb solution to a non-existant problem. Ebay auctions last from four to six days or longer as a rule. The ending time is posted clearly for everyone to see and everyone is able to bid at will up to the last second the bidding is open. If one truly wants an item he will be there at his computer at the appointed time to watch for last minute bidders and try to out bid them. If there is a last minute or last second bid that takes the prize that's just the way it is.

Football is much the same way, many times a game will hinge on a field goal with time running out on the clock and the opposing team doesn't get a shot at another score, every one understands the rules of the game, they had an entire hour on the clock to score points, if the other team manages to score the go ahead point with the clock running out that's just the way it is and you don't hear professional ball players whining about getting "sniped" by a last minute field goal.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is not sniping. If another team came on the field and beat them at the last second after not playing any in the game that would be a snipe.

Fuzzy

10. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Not possible because in football both teams have to be on the field together. You bypassed the point which is that on ebay everyone knows the time when the auction expires and everyone whether a previous bidder or a last minute bidder has an opportunity to bid right up to the last second so it's fair for everyone.

If you lose you lose, it's none of your business if the guy who beat you did it with a one time bid, he's playing the "game" according to the rules. Any nonesense of extending the auction five minutes beyond the last bid just prolongs the inevitable. Sniping would still be possible if the guy wanted the item bad enough and was willing to ante up.

Really, what's it to you if the guy beats you with one bid or a dozen? Is he doing anything YOU didn't have the opportunity to do?

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The horse is dead. Let's move on now, please.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Are we still hashing this out??? This one should already be on page 2!

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

[​IMG]

14. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Speaking of dead horses, I wonder if I have been had with that frickin narwal tusk...............

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

You know, I was just thinking about that the other day...at the antiques show there were a lot of powder horns, and some Sperm Whale tooth scrimshaw and those things got me thinking about your narwhal tusk.....

It'll show up with the WCS Irisch Moos. :D

16. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Please do not say that!! You know, I even looked through all of the knots Jason has right now, and picked out the very nicest one to use for this brush. He went and studied up on what all he had to know in order to make it correctly, and now we have no idea where the frickin' tusk is!!

17. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Where's that bloody thank-you button when you need one? We really need to implement it here as well! :D

18. hoglahoo

I hate that button