Yet another guy tired of paying for cartridges

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jabberwock, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I have been looking into DE razors for a couple of weeks now. I started off by reading suggestions and reviews, watching videos, etc. all to get my head around what stuff is a good deal and what to expect from my first shave with a DE razor. Nearly every time I am looking for well balanced specifics I end up reading posts on this forum. So many web searches link to this forum that I decided to make this my new first stop when searching for info on DE razors, blades, and techniques.

Just like many of you fine folks I have become angry and frustrated over the crazy costs associated with cartridge razors...$15 to $20 for a package of six razor cartridges isn't just high, it's insane. Even disposables are starting to climb in price. I find myself using cartridges for far longer than they are actually effective for just because I can not bring myself to shell out more money for overpriced junk. It's a breath of fresh air to find out that there is not only a far cheaper alternative, but also one that appears to be superior as well. I just wanted to thank all of you folks who make this forum so great and who have helped me in finding a cost effective and superior alternative to throwing away my money on overpriced and under performing cartridge razors.

PLANofMAN and Queen of Blades like this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Jabberwock, welcome to TSD!
    So you think you'll be cheaper by DE shaving? Didn't we all think that? You see, the problem fun is that DE shaving (and SE, straight and Rolls shaving for that matter) is so enjoyable you may end up in wanting more and more. Razors, brushes, soaps, creams, after shaves, pre shaves, mugs, scuttles, blades and what not. Funny thing is, that it doesn't matter that you end up spending way more. Because you'll be enjoying your shaves! At last!

So, welcome again, read some great advice the guys & gals over here can provide (the "Welcome To The Shave Den" Master Sticky is a great place to start), get yourself some gear and lather up! Happy Shavings!

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

This can get expensive, but it doesn't have to. Just beware, we are a bunch of enablers. :D

Make sure you sign up for the Newbie Give-Away.

Suisse likes this.
  7. Suisse

Suisse Active Member

Welcome to the Den!
    Don't get angry on the cartridge being costly :) as we all know unless one becomes saint after switching to DE razors your buying spree has just started.
    :shaver

8. jabberwock

I do tend to get crazy when it comes to old school spifftastic stuff. I have dozens of fountain pens and dip pens, a bunch of wind up watches and pocket watches, etc. I just like the old more solidly built stuff. While this sort of shaving has continued to evolve, it is still an older style and there is a real possibility that I will get dragged into a never ending search for the next cool bit of shaving gear. For now I choose to look at DE razors as an economical and interesting way to accomplish an otherwise rarely thought of daily chore. I have never looked at shaving as anything other than something necessary for a presentable appearance, but that may change after I start using a DE razor.

Monkeylord and GDCarrington like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

Cheers.

11. jabberwock

Good advice. It's easy to get frustrated with new things before you have all of the basics down. It can be a lot harder to recognize that the reason for the frustration is not the equipment, but the inexperience. I learned that the hard way when I first started long distance backpacking.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to the Den! and yes, that will change after you start using a DE razor. For a bit more advice, click on the link in my signature, but it already sounds as though you've done most of the research already. I got into this hobby to save money and I really am. I figure I'll break even by the time I'm 60. On the other hand, I'll have lots of vintage non-disposable stuff to pass on to my descendents.:cool:

You know how, when you wake up in the morning sometimes you stand in front of the closet for 5 min. trying to decide what shirt to wear? When you start looking at your razors, brushes, soaps, creams and aftershaves doing the same thing, you'll know you are hooked.:D

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome to the Den.

14. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Welcome to the Den :)

15. ElliotR

ElliotR Member

Welcome to the DEN. I used to angry about spending so much on cartridges, now I am proud that I spend so much on collecting vintage shaving gear.

16. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Welcome!

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As well you should be...now you are spending your money on something cool & fun, and I suspect, getting much better shaves.

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Aside from the retro/cool factor about "Traditional wet shaving" it really is much cheaper than cartrige shaving and more important at least for me it is a "MUCH" better(closer,smoother and irritation free) shave!
    :shaver

The spending ALOT of money comes with the "Hobby" part of "Traditional wet shaving"....:) Once the AD's kick in the money seems to go, "out of your pocket" that is...:happy097: But you know you could be spending it on something far less worthwhile. Besides preserving history and keeping a traditional skill set alive, well "It's Just Downright FUN"!!! :happy088:

JRod22 likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Welcome.

After a few years of spending too much money trying every possible thing you can, it is easy to settle into a rhythm and then it does become cheaper. By this point you will have a closet full of soft goods and not have to purchase anything for the next few decades.

178-bplatoon and JRod22 like this.
  20. ElliotR

ElliotR Member

Yes my rad is slowly fading as I collect the MUST HAVE items...and now that I am buying SE razors like GEM's it's a bit cheaper too!

178-bplatoon likes this.