Yet another n00b. Northeast Ohio.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Aedan382, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Aedan382

Aedan382 New Member

Well, I follow the same basic story.
    -Tired of crap shaves with $18-a-pack cartridges.
    -Lurked on this, and a straight razor forum.
    -Decided on DE, ordered up a Merkur 33C, blade sampler pack, and a badger brush.
    -Wait (not very patiently, might I add.)

I've used Bigelow cream for a few weeks now, ever since my wife bought it for me from the B&BW. Even without a brush, it is light years ahead of the goop i was using. Now if the darn USPS would deliver me the goods, I can commence the first-shave-butchery! I'm positively twitching in anticipation.

So anyway, greetings all!

KLF, alpla444, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome man nice to have you here. If you need help be sure to ask for help if you need it.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome to TSD!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to the Shave Den.

6. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the shave den. I think you will find it most informative.

9. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the TSD family.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to the Shave Den!

You're in familiar territory with being impatient. Every single time I order something I watch tracking numbers constantly or my PO box for anything that isn't tracked ;)

JRod22 likes this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome to TSD! Wishing you many happy shavings!

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den.:)

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

16. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

Welcome! mantic59's vids on youtube are a must see if you haven't already.

17. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Welcome to TSD!

18. Aedan382

Aedan382 New Member

Thanks for the warm greetings, based on the perusing I've been doing, I'm glad I went with a razor sampler pack, as it comes with Astra, feather, Dorco, and Supermax blades. I've read tons about Astra blades and feather blades, but what's everyone's experience with the other two?

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

20. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Welcome to the Den ;)