Yet another neck question.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by x_z_1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

I started off with an SS and had some difficulty with the lower neck area. I heard the slant could help with contours so I switched to that. However, no matter what blade I use I chew the friggin crap out of my neck. I get these red spots on the sides and across the trachea. I know I am not using any pressure so I am thinking its the blade angle. Does this sound like an angle problem? Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Forgot to say Hello all.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Could be an angle problem and it could also be a grain issue. Make sure you are shaving WTG. The neck area can be funny with grain direction.

Also pay more time with prep and lathering that area, it will help.

3. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

Also forgot to mention I do 3 passes.
    1 WTG
    2 XTG
    3 ATG
    And yes, I do follow the grain of the whiskers not simply N-S and S-N.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Forgot to say welcome aboard! :cool:

On the adams apple can also be pretty tricky due to its shape. Try flatting it out more with some light stretching or swallow and hold it. This will make it more shave friendly.

5. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

OK Ill try that too.
    Now that you mention it I really tug on the skin. Even tho the bulk of the problem is on the side of the neck, maybe I am pulling too hard?

6. Will

Will Nevermind

That could be and with the tugging you could also be putting undue pressure and strain on that area.

7. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

Hmmmm, Ill also try no tugging on the skin so much. I figured that the tighter the skin was, the smoother it would be thus the blade would glide over it better.

Also, While I have only been at it about a month, I only shave 2 time a week. Could it also be the skin needs to toughen up some?

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't ya just love it when you actually think about the problem you can almost figure out how to solve it. :D

2 times a week, I bet you are cutting down some monster growth. I would try and shave more regular.

9. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Sounds like you're getting a good handle on what to do next but I'll offer this:

Around the adam's apple: stretch the skin to either side of the apple and shave that area. That will allow you to flatten the skin out. As to skin stretching, I find that I can't stretch my skin too tightly or I will get irritated. On my neck, I just hold the skin at the base of the neck and raise my chin a little. It keeps the skin flat and taut without over stretching.

10. sanpaku

sanpaku New Member

timeout - blade inquiry

how about asking schwartr what blade is in the ss?
    they make all the diff in the world...

11. Will

Will Nevermind

I am hoping that means he has found the one that works the best. If not I would suggest a sample pack to see if other blades work better.

12. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

I like sharp's, but they and all blades I have used in the slant give the same irritation. I used derbys in the SS, but it was too mild and I ended up using too much pressure leading to some nasty burn.

And the irritation is always in the same area so I am sure its technique related.

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It most likely is technique related. Also, it does take a while for your skin to get used to shaving with a DE. It took me almost a year of almost daily shaving for my neck to finaly just get along with it. I'll get a red spot here and there but I dont have much of a problem any more. I like the swallowing technique. I would suggest sticking with the sharps untill you get it down as well as shaving a little more often. Every other day or so to get your skin used to it. Give it a break if you tear it up. Otherwise, it'll just take some time.

14. sanpaku

sanpaku New Member

derby blades too mild? hmmmmmmm. shaving with or against the grain?
    i ask because for me, shaving against the grain with a derby has been a mixed-bag experience. shaving with feathers, however, is completely different story.

i'd agree with jaykay that some (or most?) of your problem may be sourced to technique. shave as slow as you possibly can with *zero* pressure. one way to achieve lighter pressure is to hold the razor in a way that you're not pressing it in any way; almost as if holding a slender crystal wine glass by its stem.