DS Cosmetic AX: Yet another Wolfman knockoff/clone/copy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Saturday, March 25th 2023, Day 4 of testing my Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 mm gap 316 SS.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel, 1.5mm, 316L stainless steel with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SS Darwin looking handle.-Mfg 2022>, mild range, Well built with accurate machining and a nice polished finish. Today I used a Kai SS blade once again with excellent results(Kai has narrow tabs so you have to do a visual with this blade when installed.) The razor and blade was a good match and the results worked well IMO.
    Blade : Kai SS extra wide, sharp and smooth with excellent longevity.
    Soap : Yaqi Green- nice fresh scent with excellent lather qualities, Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations of S.A to make their line of soaps and aftershave.
    Brush : Yaqi "Mountain lake" 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, very nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Yaqi Green AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel 316 SS with a Kai Extra wide blade.
    SOTD March 25 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm stainless steel head.
    Homelike Shaving Voevoda stainless steel handle.
    Astra SP blade (3).
    Shore Shave Cool Water Mint Ribbon synthetic brush.
    Lakewood Soap Company Smoky Mountain Rain soap (sample).
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.
    Scottish Antique by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

Awesome shave this morning with the Sentinel head. The Astra seems to be a nice match for the head.....very smooth and efficient. The Sentinel is a real impressive head and I feel Yaqi has knocked it out of the park with this one. It reminds me a lot of a Gamechanger shave but just a tad smoother.

brit, PLANofMAN and Ron R like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thursday, April 13th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel polished 1.5mm gap, 316L SS + Yaqi polished Chippendale 316L SS Darwin looking handle- mild razor to tame mid range depending on blade used. Mfg 2022>, Very similar to the Personna BB0, BB1 & Wolf W2 razors, Machining and finish QC OK, top cap inside is machine finished. The alignment works excellent with Gillette standard sized blades with the 4 corner posts similar to Gillette tech razors. I used a Kai SS blade this morning and the Kai blade end tabs are narrower than a Standard Gillette blades (not sure why Kai made them narrower) so I had to make sure alignment was close enough for my morning shave. Kai works excellent in 99% of my razors but there are few it has to checked manually for now.
    Blade : Kai SS (5) sharp & smoooth + excellent longevity. This blade is wider than a Gillette standard blades by 9/1000 of inch or .0045" per side, it gives a razor a boost with slightly more blade feel but nothing over the top of that spectrum. One of my favorite blades for mild razors.
    Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice XXX clean scent with a touch menthol + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, excellent gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter. This knot is High Density and blooms nicely on first cleaning, it is one of the nicest gentle scrubbers for a badger I have used!
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco[​IMG] with slight menthol with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm gap razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not alot but all of them unless you want to call AC razor heads new because no one had make a DE style razor head for those blades until recently. Even then if you consider AC blades nothing but longer injector blades then the design was done at least 50+ years ago on a french razor called a Le Barbu.

Hembree likes this.
  5. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

So, anyone have any updates on the DS Cosmetic AX, regarding how it shaves, and how it compares to a Wolfman WR2?

Thanks

Ron R and Hembree like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

They have a good deal on the AX in zamak IMO, 3pcs for $28.00 dollars.

Hembree and ShaversRUs like this.
  7. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks, I saw that.

I decided to get a Shield Titanium in the .95 gap, since that's supposed to be a WR2 copy. Plus, I wanted to get an Titanium razor without breaking the bank.

Hembree and PLANofMAN like this.