YMMV YMMV Im starting to like Voskhod (aka the old "I don't like Voskhod" thread)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by xnykid, Dec 30, 2015.

1. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I know, I know and I can't believe it but I tried first shave today and my face is killing me. I'm going to give it a try again and pay more attention to the shave but I think I just don't really like any coating on blades. I will report back in a day or so might have to wait to let my face heal. Ouch

:angry021:

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same experience here, it isn't just you.

3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Voskhod to me doesn't get good until maybe 6-8 passes in. I saw someone on YouTube suggesting corking coated blades. I may try that.

battle.munky, AGHisBBS and xnykid like this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

One of my favorites. Never had a bad shave with them.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Some blades work better in different razors, put them away for a bit and revisit at another time.

tuxxdk, txskimo, battle.munky and 5 others like this.
  6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have 9 razors and use 6 different blades. I use them in my DE89 and NEW SC. They give me a nice smooth shave every time. I love em. As always in this business it seems YMMV. (Not that it matters I think I read somewhere Voskhod means "sunshine")

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Voskhods keeps changing for me - from 'ok' to 'pretty bad'. They have never been truly stellar.
    As far as DE blades goes I've found, that for me, GSB and Polsilver SI are amongst the top two.

This is SO subjective though and sometimes I feel that it changes with the razor you're using....

9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Once upon the time before my beard got as coarse as it is now, Voskhods were my favorites. Now they do not work at all for me anymore, so it might simply be you got too coarse beard.

Then there is another thing: Relatively to other manufacturers there is a bigger probability that one blade is bad in a tuck. When you try again, take another blade!

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting. Voskhod blades have been middle of the road for me. I'm actually thinking of using one in the Blackbird to tone it down a bit. They (YMMV) feel very smooth but not very sharp to me.

That's not very sharp as compared to Feathers and Personna Blues. :)

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am in the "it depends on the razor" camp.

tuxxdk, txskimo, battle.munky and 2 others like this.
  12. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

:signs011: That's exactly me ... GSB and Polsilver SI are my two favorites that work in any razor, Voskhod are okay. In my Vintages Gillettes, especially the Techs, I love Feather blades, Sputniks work really well with my Merkur 34c.

Still not sure what to think of Ladas...

13. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Voskhod are definitely middle of the road, maybe upper middle of I am being nice. There are definitely better blades for me like the GSB. There are definitely worse blades too like derby. I have a thick coarse beard so I think voskhod just not quite sharp enough for me.
    Ladas are actually my second favorite blade right now for general use. They are not quite as nice as the GSB but are cheap and produce great results for me.

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Russian blades don't work for me all together. Kind of weird, but they dont cut. Just skips the facial hair

15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Put 'em away and revisit later, maybe with a different razor. They might work better in something else for you. I like them in an aggressive razor because they feel pretty smooth to me. Even though they're not as sharp as many others, they'll work for me if I get my whiskers good and soft before shaving.

16. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

did you get to try the swedish steal blades yet?

17. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I'll try them today! Kinda forgot about you sending them in all the holiday hubbub. Thanks for the reminder.

battle.munky likes this.
  18. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

by the way, your the man, very nice PIF you fire up

19. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

oh, i will defiantly be putting them in a different razor. not sure if I will go with the R41 and two passes or in the NEW and go for three plus?

20. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure it means "exsanguination"