YMMV YMMV Im starting to like Voskhod (aka the old "I don't like Voskhod" thread)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by xnykid, Dec 30, 2015.

1. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

Voskhod was the best blade in my Lord L6, nothing could come close to the closeness or comfort. In my Futur, not so much. They are still some of the better ones but Gillette 7 o'clock yellow are best for me in that razor.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just OK for me. I wasn't impressed.

3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Funny -- I thought that was the definition of "Crystal" until I tried a second blade. I'm beginning to think QC is more of an issue than I would have imagined. I wonder if it's in the sharpening or the coating. Again, I heard about corking heavily coated blades so I think I'll try that. Pretty sure there are still a couple corks around here from Christmas.

battle.munky and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

OK, Wait, you had a good shave with a Crystal? I am beginning to think i don't like any coating on my blades at all.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think almost all blades have at least a teflon coating these days. Even the ones that don't tout their coatings probably have something on them.

6. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

this was very unexpected. I was having a good time with the shave it was not until i splashed on some Lucky Tiger that i was alerted to my real situation. and usually my face will heal rather quickly but this hurt right up to the end of the day. stupid strange really.

7. BigCabDaddy

Yeah, my second Crystal blade was just fine. Not exceptional, but perfectly usable. So I tried a third and it too was good enough. Maybe not GSB good -- I need to go back to a couple of those to refresh my memory. But good enough that I wouldn't pay a huge premium for GSB or anything else I've tried so far. Keep in mind though, I thought Derby was ok too and I suspect you don't care for them, right? I know many don't.

battle.munky and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I still liked Derby when i stopped using them, i have to revisit that blade too. As i remember they were smooth but i realized I wanted something sharper after a time but they never really reached out and hurt me. Kind of like my first wife?? now my second wife... she was a dull feather, cost me a lot and sliced me up real good.

9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Didn't like Voskhod either, and won't revisit that.

10. BigCabDaddy

Like U2, I still haven't found the sharp blade I'm looking for. But I've concentrated most of my searching on the smooth side.

battle.munky, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Count me in the camp where the blade finds the razor that it works best in. I have a lot of razors and a lot of blade choices and experimentation has been some of the most fulfilling fun.

12. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I did a two pass shave with a Gillette NEW and Voskhod. I was gentle and a bit scared but wound up with a very good DFS. I'm going to see what tomorrow brings.

AGHisBBS and battle.munky like this.
  13. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

They worked pretty well for me. Middle of the road. Nothing special, but they are only $.11 per blade. They are very smooth for me, but not sharp--I pair it with a more aggressive razor to tone it down a bit. Would never use one in my Muhlr R89--wouldn't shave at all lol.

AGHisBBS and battle.munky like this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Same here. Good thing too, I bought a bunch of 'em back during the second group buy.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Old denim works also.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wet shaving is probably the only setting where the phrase "That's a corker!" is not a good thing.

17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm starting to find that Russian blades vary depending on which house they are made. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...tories-owners-and-location.48946/#post-965066
    St. Petersburg by Gillette/ZAO Petersburg Int. is sharper but can be a bit burning if pushed with an aggressive razor setup.
    Moscow by JSC Mostochlegmash is less sharp but also less aggravating when paired with an aggressive razor or adjustable set on high.
    I prefer sharper non PTFE coated blades but it all depends on hair type and thickness. I have quite a few gray beard hairs now which are coarser.

18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

But for me they dont cut. Its weird.

Tried in a few different razors. Its like they glide over the Hairs.

19. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

All ? What do you prefer. What is your go to blade ?