You Ever Wanna Just Chuck It All?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by poppi, Jul 3, 2024.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I look at all my stuff I think, "What's wrong with me? I have over 80 razors, hundreds of blades, a plethora of brushes, dozens of soaps/creams. " And yet I only use a very few of these items regularly. I could do away with most of it and be perfectly happy.......for awhile. What's a person to do??

stuartganis, Ursa, Silvestris and 4 others like this.
  2. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Pass them on to new wetshavers starting out. Far better than just chucking them..

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

gorgo2, chazt, Silvestris and 5 others like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ll PM you my shipping address. Just box it up and send it to me and you’ll feel better.

gorgo2, Silvestris, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

:happy088::happy088:

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. John Beeman

For a long time I had most of my stuff stacked on shelves in the basement and rotated through it frequently.
    As I began to acquire duplicates of vintage favorites (you gotta buy it because they don’t make it anymore) I started boxing the duplicates up. While it’s still there, I can’t see it because it’s inside a box so I forget how much I actually have.
    Then I boxed a bunch of stuff up because it was feeling cluttered and that slowed the rotation down.
    About a year ago I pulled out one tube of Arko and decided to only use that cream until it was gone. I occasionally used something different but mostly stuck to the Arko until it was completely gone.
    That’s my current program. Most stuff is out of sight and I’m trying to start using it up one product at a time.
    Once I retire and have extra time I might go back to rotating things more but at the moment I’m enjoying focusing on individual items.

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

PIF your unwanted gear, then enjoy the rest. Be creative with your PIF, have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gorgo2, chazt, GoodShave and 6 others like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I understand how you feel. I try to recirculate through my gear to keep it new and fresh. I have so much stuff I do PIF razors, brushes and soaps to friends who want to get into the hobby. Little do they know I am getting them hooked on an interesting, life-long passion. This wet-shaving hobby in the grand scheme of things is relatively low budget and good clean fun. In this crazy world we all need an escape and my little (ok, big) museum of gear is a great place to escape. I still get great satisfaction from a nice shave. Dont overthink it. Enjoy the ride.

gorgo2, chazt, brit and 4 others like this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I have settled in a enjoyable routine using just a few razors, soaps and brushes. I am thinking about selling my unused gear and setting the price at only postage fees.

Since I live in The Netherlands most of it will go abroad. International shipping for all items (sent apart or even in groups) may add up to more than SWMBO will allow. :scared003:

Keithmax, gorgo2, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Keep, sell, or PIF if there are razors or soaps. All are valid options. I have close to half a dozen DE razors and seven SRs. When I get another SR, one gets given away. If I were to obtain another DE razor, it will simply be added to what I have, as all but a 1940s (maybe 30s?) Army open comb Gillette were gifts. I don’t give away items that are gifts unless I have the approval from the one who gave it to me (I had a Fatboy that was a great razor that I wanted to give to a member of another forum (the only other one besides this one).. I mentioned how I was gifted a stainless steel adjustable add who I wanted to pass the Fatboy to and he not only approved but encouraged it. Anyhow, long story to say enjoy them or pass them along. I would, however, recommend not adding to your collection. Or if you do, start swapping out a razor any time you add one.

gorgo2, chazt, poppi and 2 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I feel the same way about possessions in general. I've been going through my stuff over the past year and giving away useable things that I no longer use. (Junk goes in the trash.) Anytime I come up with something, it goes into the designated 'stack.' I am fortunate to have reputable local outlets where folks can actually use the stuff that's just taking up space in my closet, garage, etc.

Terry, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

If I could keep 5 soaps, 5 aftershaves, and chuck the rest, I wonder which I'd choose to keep. Tough chuck problem, that.

12. John Beeman

For a few years I had three snowblowers plus a parts machine that was the same model as one of the three. I finally gave the parts machine and it’s partner away so now I’m down to two.

And two lawnmowers. I’ve got two lawnmowers.

And hammers and screwdrivers. I’ve got a lot of hammers and screwdrivers.

gorgo2, chazt and wristwatchb like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have lots of razors or all sorts along with a plethora of brushes, soaps, and aftershaves. I also have hammers and screwdrivers unnumbered. I am probably hanging on to the hammers and screwdrivers, but I am open to thinning my shaving gear. I am thinking of piffing some of my hardware when someone adopts one of my brushes.
    https://jrshaving.blogspot.com/p/brushes-for-adoption.html
    I am turning 76 this year, so I am trying to use all the razors I can, and I would like to see them go to some guys who would use them. There are some razors I will hang on until the end, then someone is going to box the rest up and send them all to @twhite and @wristwatchb to pass on. I hope they won't mind.

stuartganis, gorgo2, chazt and 4 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.png

Don't underestimate the immense joy in getting rid of (lawns and) lawn equipment. :D

gorgo2, Enrico, chazt and 2 others like this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Make himself perfectly happy, that's what. If you are asking "What's wrong with me?", it indicates having a ton of shaving stuff isn't making you particularly happy.

Maybe try this?
    • Razors - Set aside your five favorite razors and sell the rest. Chucking perfectly good razors would be wasteful, and would not bring you any money.
    • Brushes - The same as for the razors.
    • Blades - Keep the blades you like and PIF the rest. You won't have to worry about buying blades for a long time. Blades are inexpensive, so it will be faster and easier to PIF them than to sell them.
    • Soaps and creams - Keep your 10 favorite, which should last for quite some time. Sell or PIF any that are unused. Any soaps that are used can be repurposed as bath soaps, saving money for awhile.
    My take is that we are put on Earth to have fun, and deserve to be happy. Perhaps take the money from selling your shaving gear and spend it on a meal at your favorite restaurant?

16. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Great post.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:eek: If get rid of it all, I'd have no reason to make more shelves. Then I'd be sad. :angry017:

:happy102:

You so funny. :D

A couple years ago I was talking with my wife and boys about what they'll do with all my shaving doodads after I pass away ...... ; some of which if worth quite a bit. My youngest son after thinking of a moment finally said "Dad you really enjoy supporting TSD; why don't we donate it all to them and it could be raffled off or sold to support TSD?" I thought it was a great idea.

:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    stuartganis, PLANofMAN, Terry and 7 others like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll be blunt.

(1) I'm cheap so I have trouble passing up a deal on something that interests me even though I know I don't need it and don't know when I'll get around to using it. "Just in case" is a lie and "you never know" is a curse.

(2) I admire looking at things I don't use, but it all ends up as clutter. Soon I get so disgusted I end up telling myself the truth: if this isn't avarice and covetousness on my part, I don't know what is. It is truly shameful. Then I make a clean sweep, one way or another. Then...repeat process. Again.

So I'm training myself to be content with the barest minimum of things that I enjoy most, and to stay there.

Shaver X, PLANofMAN, Ursa and 3 others like this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I pifd or sold most of what I acquired in the first 5 years and simply stopped acquiring soaps. Now I have 3 razors I rotate, 1 brush for home and 1 razor and brush for travel and I use Arko. I only replace when I use things up. Mornings are much simpler.

stuartganis and wristwatchb like this.
  20. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Solid post. I feel much the same way, and wind up doing a relatively significant purge every few years.

Shaver X, Ursa, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.